586,108 active members*
3,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multicam MT22 1996 retrofit

Hi, my Multicam MT22 1996 has been very problematic lately half the time i turn it on it has a blinking cursor qnd not showing "motion controller" when i am trying to home it i get Power failure message and the machine goes bananas and just keeps on homing even at end stops.

I have a simple but maybe hard question. This controller is very outdated and i need something simple like the Mach 3 or something. Am i able to keep the motors and motor controllers (pacific scientific) and just use a cheap mach3 compatible board ? Or do i need to change motrs and controllers as well. The motors works i can move them while doing the "jog" function on the pendant.

Any help appreciated

Re: Multicam MT22 1996 retrofit

Hi,
    I would not recommend Mach3, all development ceased on it eight years ago. Mach4 is the actively developed product.

Note that Mach (3 or 4) is natively a Step/Direction output controller. If your Pacific Scientific drivers are also Step/Direction then you'd have no trouble swapping.

Can you tell us a lot more about the drivers, and the motors, model numbers etc?

Craig

Re: Multicam MT22 1996 retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Frode1 View Post
    Hi, my Multicam MT22 1996 has been very problematic lately half the time i turn it on it has a blinking cursor qnd not showing "motion controller" when i am trying to home it i get Power failure message and the machine goes bananas and just keeps on homing even at end stops.

I have a simple but maybe hard question. This controller is very outdated and i need something simple like the Mach 3 or something. Am i able to keep the motors and motor controllers (pacific scientific) and just use a cheap mach3 compatible board ? Or do i need to change motrs and controllers as well. The motors works i can move them while doing the "jog" function on the pendant.

Any help appreciated
    Better change all the motors and drivers and contoller to new ones, to get the best performance, and best compatibility.
    Old items with new items could be many problem.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html