586,100 active members*
2,914 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > DNC Problems and Solutions > RS232C help - Okuma LC40 OSP5000L-G control - NCnet lite software

RS232C help - Okuma LC40 OSP5000L-G control - NCnet lite software

This is my first time posting here so I hope this is the right area, and I apologize if it's not. We have a "new to us" LC40 that just came into the shop but no one here is proficient in RS232C transfers from/to pc and machine. I feel like I've learned so much about it in the last couple of days but realized there's like 100x more than I don't know. I was able to change the parameters on the machine so they can somewhat communicate with each other. I can send programs from the machine to the pc just fine. I can send about 15 lines from the pc to the machine, but if I try to do anymore than that it gives me a RS232C device not ready ERROR ff. If anyone has any ideas that may help me or want any additional information please let me know, thank you.

Re: RS232C help - Okuma LC40 OSP5000L-G control - NCnet lite software

I am not familiar with that controller or the NCnet lite software but:
    It could be you are transferring the data to fast and are flooding the controller buffer. To avoid flooding the buffers RS232 has "handshake" signals RTS (request to send) and CTS (clear to send). This handshake protocol may however not be implemented at all.
    You can slowdown the transfer rate by adding extra start and stop bits, put a delay after every line send or set the transfer rate (baud rate) at a lower level (must be done at the sender and transceiver side. If you can, reduce the baud rate and see if it has any impact.

It may also a license issue and that without a license, there is only a limited amount of lines that can be send.

I've tried every baud rate from 1200-9600. My "handshake" is set as software which I believe is Xon/Xoff. The only stop bits options I have are 1 and 2 and I've tried both of those. How would I go about putting a delay after every line send? I think next week I will try another software if I'm unable to figure out any more information. seems this NCnet lite is an older software but we use it on our other machine(LC30) and it will send a whole program so I wouldn't think it would be a license issue. Thank you for the information

seems this NCnet lite is an older software but we use it on our other machine(LC30) and it will send a whole program
    Maybe that other machine has a license (hardware of software key). Try using that other machine, it can rule out one of the problems.

My "handshake" is set as software which I believe is Xon/Xoff
    Xon Xoff is a software handshake that also my not be implemented at all.

How would I go about putting a delay after every line send?
    Send 10 lines (one program) wait a few seconds and send the same lines again.

You can also send lines manually using a terminal emulator like CoolTerm.
    Roger Meier's Freeware

Using Predator software I was able to send a full program with no issues, so it looks like NCNet lite was my biggest problem. Thank you for your help!