586,409 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Battery for Dynapath 20

Hi all. I had to retire for medical reasons two years ago, and have been trying to sell my machines and tools since then. I have a CompuMill 2500 with a DynaPath 20 controller.

I have a guy interested in the mill who was coming over to look at it yesterday, so I went out to clean it up and make sure it ran okay. The mill has been sitting for about 14 months and the battery in the controller is dead. Great.

The manual isn't much help, and I don't see the battery after I took the cover off. Is it under all the guts? Do I have to remove everything to access the battery? The manual says it's a 3 volt lithium, similar looking to a "B" cell. I can probably get one from the dealer who built this machine, 40-some miles away, but how much work is involved in changing it, and what do I have to set up afterwards?

TIA!

Re: Battery for Dynapath 20

...Hi Old Timer, the battery should be on the Aux board in Slot #1. It maybe a AA Type 3v (photo 2) or a battery that looks like a Cap. (see photo 1)
    Attachment 493878
    Attachment 493880

The battery is for Programs and Offsets so, the machine should start up even if, dead battery.

DJ

Thanks for the reply, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. Which is the battery?

Where is the best place to buy one?

...I edited the Photos above reply with Red circles for possible Battery you have...The big round Cap type battery might be soldered in or plugged into the board ..I dont remember and where to buy them search Google.

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...I edited the Photos above reply with Red circles for possible Battery you have...The big round Cap type battery might be soldered in or plugged into the board ..I dont remember and where to buy them search Google.
    Got it, thanks! I have the flat one as in pik #1. It appears to be soldered in. I will contact the people who built the machine and will update this post if anyone is interested in these antiques.

Here's where I am so far. I let it run for a while and I can finally get the "Reset" to work and the loud relay snaps as it should. I could not do this previously.

But no matter what I do, I cannot get off this screen, none of the buttons will do anything. (am waiting to hear back from the builder).

Attachment 493904

...I was going to suggest to leave the control ON and machine in EStop for awhile might charge the battery. You say no keys/buttons are working.... you can try turning OFF the power and unplug and re-plug all the Cards/Boards, Cable plugs, etc in and out a few times. Be to sure to Ground yourself out before removing the Cards. Touching the Dynapath case to discharge any Static Elec on you.

Thanks for the tip, I will try it Monday. Do you mean just the boards in the controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I will try it Monday. Do you mean just the boards in the controller?
    ...The board with the Cable going to the Operator's Panel/MTB interface board is the main one to check. Slot #6 ( I think). Also, if you want to replace the Battery yourself they are available many places. Mouser has them.
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...vvV1GmUQ%3D%3D

DJ

...The board with the Cable going to the Operator's Panel/MTB interface board is the main one to check. Slot #6 ( I think). Also, if you want to replace the Battery yourself they are available many places. Mouser has them.
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...vvV1GmUQ%3D%3D

DJ
    Somewhere here?

Attachment 493940

Attachment 493942

...bingo. It's on the "Auxiliary" board Slot#2 looks like "MTB INTERFACE" plug circled in red.

Attachment 493946

This is the MTB (Machine Tool Builder) board pictured below photo....the Pins on the green plugs are not gold plate so, unplugging and plugging them in and out also a few times. But, the big MTB Cable needs to be checked mainly.
    Attachment 493948
    ...Hope this fixes the Keypad problem....If not, what exactly is coming up on your Screen at Bootup?

DJ

On boot up:

Attachment 493952

Got the rear cable off, can't access bottom screw on front connection, can't even see it. I did loosen the top screw and wiggled the connection some.

Attachment 493956

This is the first time I've seen this screen:

Attachment 493954

But it bounces back and forth with this screen. Pushing the fault button does nothing, nor can does hitting e-stop and Reset do anything.

Attachment 493958

...looks like the Battery needs to be replaced 1st, before we can do anything more. Hitting the RESET should have cleared the Fault screen, then should be able to view Fault Message.

...looks like the Battery needs to be replaced 1st, before we can do anything more. Hitting the RESET should have cleared the Fault screen, then should be able to view Fault Message.
    Yep, that's how it used to work.

The battery from your link looks the same as I have. My machine manual says it's 3 v, that link says 3.6 v. Does it matter? Is it soldered in?

EDIT:
    I just looked up "axial leads," and see that it is apparently soldered into the board.

I got all those leads off, and pushed them on and off several times. At first boot it doesn't do anything other than tell me I need a new battery.

After running a while, I can get the e-stop and reset to snap back and forth, and then it tells me again that I need a new battery, no other screens available. Sounds like the battery is charging enough to make a few things work, then dies again when I shut it down overnight.

...leave the Control ON and yes 3.6vdc is standard battery TL-5135 or the number is on your battery. Also, make note of +(plus) and - (minus) on the battery if, it's not marked on the board MARK IT

...leave the Control ON and yes 3.6vdc is standard battery TL-5135 or the number is on your battery. Also, make note of +(plus) and - (minus) on the battery if, it's not marked on the board MARK IT
    You mean leave the control on now? Or after I change the battery?

That link said the battery is not rechargeable, I thought they were. Oh well, I am going to order it tonight.

EDIT: Battery ordered, supposed to get it Thursday.

Battery is coming this afternoon via UPS.

I've got the board out and here are pix of the battery and the backside. I see a + on the face of the battery but that's all. I've got to find a TV guy or somebody around here to replace this, no way am I going to attempt it. I'm good at soldering plumbing or electrical wires, but I ain't touching this.

Click to expand:

Attachment 494128

Attachment 494130

...looks like this battery has three pins so, + and - can not get mixed up. No problem there. Good luck finding a TV repair guy...
    I'm near Omaha, NE if, I can help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TL-5135 Battery.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	494136

DJ

Page 1 of 2 12