586,096 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach 3 Windows 10 64 Bit and USB-Serial MPG issue locks out Mach 3

Question Mach 3 Windows 10 64 Bit and USB-Serial MPG issue locks out Mach 3

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and has advice please. Basically I'm trying to set up a cheap MPG and Mach 3 errors on startup when I set it up. I'll explain my setup and issue:

SETUP
    - Mach 3
    - Windows 10 64 Bit
    - Ethernet stepper
    - I DID NOT install the serial driver (As I understand this crashes Win 10 Mach3) and also did not need to with Ethernet

WORKING
    - Using Mach 3 control and Ethernet all works perfectly

STEPS TO ERROR
    - Install USB-Serial Driver
    - Note down COM port in Device Manager
    - Plug in MPG to USB
    - Turn on ModBus and input all MPG settings into Mach 3
    - Restart Mach 3
    - Now I get ERROR #1 or #9991 and can't get into the program :S

MPG
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18285956304...EAAOSwj1haZbr9

MY THINKING
    1) Because I am on Windows 10 64bit and not using the Parallel driver, when I attempt to use the USB-Serial MPG it errors Mach 3 on startup. Is that correct? And if so I will simply get rid of this MPG.
    2) Any advice on MPGs that do work on Windows 10 64bit?

Thanks for your help

Re: Mach 3 Windows 10 64 Bit and USB-Serial MPG issue locks out Mach 3

Hi,

1) Because I am on Windows 10 64bit and not using the Parallel driver, when I attempt to use the USB-Serial MPG it errors Mach 3 on startup. Is that correct? And if so I will simply get rid of this MPG.
    No, the parallel port driver has nothing to do with this MPG. The MPG should have a manufacturer supplied plugin that should be in the plugins folder of Mach3. This plugin translates
    from Mach3 to the MPG and vice versa. Have you installed and enabled such a plugin?

For some years I used a VistaCNC P1A pendant with Mach3. About eight years ago I shifted to Mach4 and used the same pendant in Mach4 until it wore out and started going cranky after seven years.
    The VistaCNC P1A gas a plugin, one for use with Mach3 and another for use with Mach4. The pendant communicates via USB, and virtually no setup is required.

Craig

Hi Craig

No plugin DLL for this handwheel. It just came with one file 'Macropump.m1s'. This goes in the 'macros\Mach3Mill' folder and enabled in settings. I think these cheap ones are keyboard stuffers so doesn't communicate through a plugin DLL like the more expensive ones...

Would you recommend the VistaCNC P1A Pendant?

Thanks

Hi,

No plugin DLL for this handwheel. It just came with one file 'Macropump.m1s'. This goes in the 'macros\Mach3Mill' folder and enabled in settings. I think these cheap ones are keyboard stuffers so doesn't communicate through a plugin DLL like the more expensive ones...
    Ok, that sort of makes sense. It would also put an extreme premium on the macropump file being exactly right otherwise it would pull Mach3 down altogether.

I used a P1A until it wore out. It was easily good enough that I should have bought a new one, they are the same price as I paid nearly ten years ago.
    What I did instead was make my own wired pendant...and that works fine too, and it did work out a little cheaper....but not a lot in it.
    I can recommend the P1A as great value for money.

Craig

Yeah that is exactly what it is doing, completely stopping Mach 3 and crashing on first load.

Sounds like I should look at other options... Have you any experience using game controllers? I have a spare Xbox controller that I could try. Might save me buying another handwheel. Worth a search on this forum to see if anybody has advice on Win 10 use of game controllers

Hi,

Have you any experience using game controllers?
    No. The only thing I want is a good MPG, the wheel itself. I got a second hand Japanese one, and despite having done a million miles the wheel is still smooth as silk,
    and that's what I want...everything else I don't use. I got it and 'it would put a horn on a jellyfish'

I have the MPG, one three position toggle switch for the axis select (X,Y,Z) and one spring return toggle switch for Incremental/Velocity mode....nothing else. After ten years using
    a P1A I found that I used so few of the functions that they are just not worth cramming onto a pendant. I elected to make it simple with those functions I use and nothing else.
    Been using it now for a year or so, works fine. I now have a fourth axis and soon will have a fifth axis so will have to replace the three position toggle switch with a six position
    rotary. That will cover both A and B axes, and allow me to jog my C axis when I'm using my servo driven spindle.

Just because you can cram a lot of features onto a pendant does not mean that you automatically should. You need to find those features that you actually use, and those
    which are infrequently used. Those infrequently used ones can still be accessed by Mach's screen....so no need to have them clutter up your pendant.

As an example: I set my Increment to 0.05mm and there it stays for months at a time.....so if I don't change it that often why bother having a switch for it on the pendant?

Craig

Second VistaCNC. Very easy setup.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Thanks again for the help and advice

I actually tried out the Xbox controller but soon got totally fed up of trying to find a DLL and direct x drivers etc that will work in 2023 and 64bit Windows 10!

Though the good news is in another hobby I am a gamer. And I use a controller but remap binds to keyboard with a special software called reWASD. I gave that a go and it works! So basically I can remap any Xbox button to any keyboard shortcut on this list: https://www.machsupport.com/ftp/Extr...n/Hotkeys.html

In Mach 3 I set my jog hot keys to the arrow keys, in this software I remap the buttons to arrow keys. And what I get is still total keyboard control but I can also switch to controller and use that. For now this will enable what I need which is being able to eyeball the machine and jog about while the spindle is going to do some manual work In most cases I'm running gcode but this will be super helpful!

Hi,
    99% of the time I just use the axis select switch and then spin the MPG, the other 1% I use the Velocity/Incremental mode switch, axis select and MPG....thats it.
    Anything more complicated than that is just more BS to go wrong. I've been doing this for ten years and simple is by far and away the best for my work.

My current pendant (three axis select, MPG, Velocity/Incremental) requires five wires, plus two wire for power supply and common return.
    When I get around to a six axis select pendant I need only add one wire as I'll be using a binary multiplex for axis select, ie three wires for six channel axis select.

Craig

Good to know Craig. I am a novice so nice to know what people ACTUALLY use in practice. This controller solution should do me fine then for now. Allows axis movement, I can increase/decrease slow jog rate and change incremental/velocity mode Anything else I can move 2 metres and use Mach 3 :P

These disruptions not only affect the Geometry Dash overall performance but also pose potential risks in various applications where the board is employed. Such issues have led to frustration among users who rely on the PW 3024 for their specific needs.