586,094 active members*
4,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Nema 24 Closed Loop anyone have one?

Nema 24 Closed Loop anyone have one?

Hi people. Anyone have the wiring datasheet for a Nema 24 p/n 24E1K-30 before the Chinese thought it would be a good idea to send them out with cheap plugs on them and no color coding? Im having a spot of trouble getting my one to work, just need to make sure everything is 100%.

Hard to troubleshoot without any real information. Hoping someone has one please? Leads = Blue Red Green Black

Is a closed loop model.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Nema 24 Closed Loop anyone have one?

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    Hard to troubleshoot without any real information. Hoping someone has one please? Leads = Blue Red Green Black

Is a closed loop model.

Thanks in advance.
    As they appear to be bi-polar steppers, (4 leads) it is easy to find each winding and the relative phasing.
    First find each pair by resistance test.
    Then place a 1.5v cell across each in turn and determine whn each step in the same direction, this is then phased, if direction is wrong, swap both.
    BTW, how is the loop closed?
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    As they appear to be bi-polar steppers, (4 leads) it is easy to find each winding and the relative phasing.
    First find each pair by resistance test.
    Then place a 1.5v cell across each in turn and determine whn each step in the same direction, this is then phased, if direction is wrong, swap both.
    BTW, how is the loop closed?
    Hi. Thanks for jumping in. Almost 20yrs working with steppers I have never had to go further than locate the data sheet. So a 1.5v cell will rotate my shaft. Didn't know that. For full clarity and explanation, if I was to know the leads out of a 4 wire stepper are correct. And if I put a 1.5v battery on each set of positive and negative pairs, is the motor supposed to run in the same direction each winding is that correct? I have already located the two sets of windings I was just unsure how to measure polarity. This will fix that.

I guess that I will either end up with a perfectly wired motor, or one 180deg out - either way is ok I expect. Correct?

After thinking more about this last night I think I also have wired something incorrectly as well as not knowing the motor leads - makes for a poor recipe. Troubleshooting day today.

The closed loop system is between the motor which has a small encoder fed to the driver. Seems very basic but does work quite well. The "P" series Nema 24 is just a tad better than the 23

The pair of lead are often marked A+-A- & B+ B- for each, and applying a short pulse to each should result in a jump in the same direction, if they are phased right,.
    They won't fully rotate.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The pair of lead are often marked A+-A- & B+ B- for each, and applying a short pulse to each should result in a jump in the same direction, if they are phased right,.
    They won't fully rotate.
    Thanks for the lesson. I had a wee crack with a single cell and once I got 3v with a couple of them I saw the jump. Out of all faults with these steppers, especially the closed loop models with 6 leads as well. Wiring and the identification is usually the issue. The Chinese Stepperonline company have removed the colour codes and placed aviation plugs on their motors. Cut the plug off there is no information for the wires. As for my setup it was the encoder wiring being different to the other models I have on a seperate machine. I had to go back to basics, rewire the encoders. And my little Nema 24s now operate. So now onto the next step - setting up a 4 way turret to work with Mach 3