586,643 active members*
2,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A-axis on bed mill

I have the feeling that the turning direction of my A-axis is swiched, please take a look at the image and tell me; if I push the + botton on the control should the table turn as the arrow shows?

I'm pretty sure it should turn the opposite direction of the arrow you've drawn.

Well, in physics, positive rotation is CCW when looking from the positive direction of the axis that the rotation is about. However, I think if anything is it should be a personal preference.

Though, if you are going to be CNCing, I suppose it would be best to find what is most commonly used in milling / CNCing.

Ok, let me know from you out there; what is the setup on your machine; CW looking from the positive direction of the axis (like on my machine, see image in 1st post) or CCW looking from the positive direction of the axis. Help me convince my service guy, my thumb isn't enough.

Thumb pointing in positive direction of the axis
    Fingers ponting in positive direction of the axis rotation

Heh, that is the technique I was thinking of. The "Right Hand Rule."

If you wrap your fingers around the axis, with your thumb pointing in the positive direction (Id assume comine out from the center of the table), that is the positive direction.

With that said, if it were me, Id say the direction indicated is the positive direction, unless there is some metric I am not thinking about.

The A axis is kinda iffy for which direction to go. I work with some mazaks with 4th axis we have 2 machines that have the 4th axis mounted on the left and one with it mounted on the right so it turns in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by vigilante212 View Post
    The A axis is kinda iffy for which direction to go. I work with some mazaks with 4th axis we have 2 machines that have the 4th axis mounted on the left and one with it mounted on the right so it turns in reverse.

Ok, but still, if you look from the possitive end of the x-axis it (in my opinion) must be the same, no matter if the round table facing in the X-axis possitive or negative direction. Does that theory fit with your Mazaks? If it does, is the arrow (in the image in the first post) poiting in the + or - way, on your machines?

0 degrees being at 3 o'clock position and 90 degrees at 12 o'clock position, therefore it would have to rotate cw to go in positive direction right?

Your axis is rotating correctly. Direction is determined looking through the back of the motor.

Looking at the end of the motor when you press the + button the motor turns clockwise from this perspective.

It is no different than a horizontal mill spindle. Facing the spindle an M3 command CW, would appear to be CCW, but looking at it from the perspective of the cutter and the motor, it would be clockwise.