586,103 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anybody using GWizard Speeds and Feed Calculator?

Anybody using GWizard Speeds and Feed Calculator?

I’ve had the GWizard calculator by Bob Warfield over at CNC Cookbook for awhile now, but have never really got it to work for me. I find it non-intuitive and difficult to use, but that is probably just me being dense.

For example, I’m trying to get some decent speeds and feeds for a 1/8” carbide endmill in stainless steel. I’m confused at the 100% Cut Width recommendation that GWizard is giving me for this endmill. I thought the whole idea behind HSM was to be able to take full depth cuts using shallower cut widths?

Wouldn’t a 100% Cut Width recommendation really only be appropriate for slotting?

Re: Anybody using GWizard Speeds and Feed Calculator?

Nobody appears to be using GWizard Calculator.

I have the same issue as you, confused on what it is trying to do? Should it not be as simple as entering a particular tool say a 3/8 3 flute flat endmill and I want to run it at 1500 rpm, what are the suggested width/depth's/feed rate ???
    I know more experienced users have formulas they use, and every search results in opposing ways to do it?
    So still searching for a simple calculation to wrap my head around. Getting things done but probably not at a productive or tool life rate

Hi TB - The first cuts of many jobs has to create slots (100% width cut). Once slots are created you then move to HSM or use a circular ramp to crate a "hole" then move out from there. Another approach is to drill pockets then move to HSM. I've used GWizard for aluminium and it seems to be OK. I use FSwizard at the moment. Peter

the tooling suppliers catalog usually has chipload and max surface speeds for different cuts and materials. I've found sticky to the max surface speed to be very important.

https://fswizard.com/