586,075 active members*
4,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > Rockcliff CNC Large Flying Gantry Model
Page 1 of 2 12

Rockcliff CNC Large Flying Gantry Model

Ok guys, I'm seriously thinking about going with the "Rockcliff" large flying gantry model (36 x 24) with 288 oz stepper motors. I've asked some questions of Rockcliff and Nick was very quick to respond. Has anyone built the large flying gantry model yet? How does it do and what (if any) suggestions do you have?

I want to do cabinet doors, signs, and just basically play.

Thanks

I'd want to see it already built. Looks like Rockcliff only has plans of that one.. doesn't look as though it's been built at this point. The small machine looks a bit wimpy with the rail design. But the Large one says "fully supported" so it might be better. I would not want to be a guinea pig though.
    Nathan

It really surprises me that this question keeps getting asked and the answer seems always to be "no." I am not sure why not even Nick has built one. It seems to me that you should build at least once a machine you sell plans for. Nick is great, so this isn't really criticism. Still, the flying gantry plan has been up for months and not one has been built.

My message to Nick is, "we don't want to be guinea pigs. Please build one and show us your results." We want to see your supported rails at work and get a sense of your accuracy, cost, etc.

What! no one want's to be the first, where's your sense of adventure?

I am actually starting one this weekend, it's been on my to do list for a couple of months, and kept getting pushed back, everything to build it, is in a small pile on my bench, so it will not take too long, and I just received dumpstercnc's new 3/8-10 nuts and couplings today and will be using them for the machine I am not sure mine will be the first one built, as there has been a few who claimed to be building one? but your correct no pictures or feedback to date? I should have some pics posted in a couple of days. The slide design although not yet assembled into a machine, have actually been made and cut tested, under a bridgeport vertical mill, with good results, the slides show they are a few times stronger / rigid then an unsopprted rail, and will support about 100lbs of load, which is acceptable for an MDF / Wood / linear bearing, so I am not expecting too many issues.
    Nick
    www.rockcliffmachine.com

Waiting to see!

Since my last post (seems like an eon), I too have had a couple of setbacks. I acquired a Model T Ford that requires a total rebuild. Haven't put too much time into it yet, but it does beckon me. I am in the process of putting in electricity, insulation and interior walls in the garage so I can work this winter. With good news and photos (CarveOne..) I may start sooner than later!!!!

Rockcliff 36" x 24" x 5" Flying Gantry

Here's a picture from Saturday

The machine is ready to do some repeatabilty tests, then some trial cuts,
    I will post a few updated pics today or tommorrow, and will add detailed build photos to our yahoo group for any who are interested.

Nick
    www.rockcliffmachine.com

Nick,

That is basically EXACTLY the machine I want to build. One question, though. It would seem that having PERFECTLY parallel rails would be critical to keep the shuttle bearing from binding up. Has that been a problem? I assume you used your other machines for the parts, but unless you are selling kits I'm going to have to do it with regular hand tools. Has getting the rails parallel been a problem? Is there an adjustment built into the system?

Thanks,

I am not sure PERFECTLY, is a word that could apply to a DIY machine made from MDF, but you can get them close enough If they are built in the correct assembly order, it works out good, the slides are actually pre-loaded to zero clearance.

Yes there are simple adjustment provisions for the runner blocks, and
    everything on this machine exept for the 4 motor mounts, were cut old school with manual woodworking tools, table saw and table router, I do not think it could be made better any other way. Home Depot offers free cuts with their large panel saw when you buy wood from them, which is a great option for people too.

it's alive
    Picture of 3/4" thick wood Nema 23 motor mounts cutting on Rockcliff Flying gantry

www.rockcliffmachine.com

How in the cat hair are you supposed to order a password? I see no referance to payment of cash out on the web site!!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

armyliferarmy,

Hurry up and finish that garage improvement and get started on building this thing! This design looks good to me. It should work out well for you. The Model T will take much longer to restore and it can wait.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I purchase the plans from ebay. And they emailed me a password. Decent plasns it looks like. There could be more info on setting it up though.

Oh yes. Nick, One problem I did have with the rockliff plans were the jpegs were mostly thumnail size. It would have been nice to have larger images. I'm a pretty visual person, and images really would help.

Well, they certainly aren't interested in business, I posted here and e-mail to the addy listed on the web site.

I got zilch!

I gotta figure the product matches or else they'd support sales.
    Nuts, I'll draw up my own and keep my money!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    Well, they certainly aren't interested in business, I posted here and e-mail to the addy listed on the web site.

I got zilch!

I gotta figure the product matches or else they'd support sales.
    Nuts, I'll draw up my own and keep my money!

Well I can't imagine what your problem is. The page is very clear for ordering and the support is about the best I have seen. I just bought my Mach license through them and with in 5 minutes of ordering I had a note from them they had received the order. They have a dedicated support group for plan buyers.

Rockcliff

I got my key to unlock the plans in about 10 minutes. Nick has been great about answering questions and the plans are very good. He has posted updates since I bought and they are available on the group once you purchase. Others have answered questions for me from the group. I'm impressed with their service.

John

Large Flying Gantry Machine

OK Nick, We need more photos since you've had ton's of time to run this thing through it's paces.

We need pix, specs, Lessons Learned, etc...etc....

Any update on this model? I'm very interested in it.

Looked at the Website. When will the plans for the Lathe be ready. It seems like 8 months that I ahve been seeing the shortly message.

Question Upscaling D-Model

Hello all, first of all I would like to say this forum is a wealth of information for a newbie like myself. I have spent quite a bit of time so far educating myself on the subject. I purchased the Mach3 S/W and plans from Rockcliff last month and decided to build the flying gantry D-model. I really like the larger design as I will be making signs. I have a few questions regarding this design. I want to upscale it to 36" x 72", will the 270 oz in. motors work for a machine of this size? And....what is the correct way to wire the two Y-Axis motors? A driver card for each or wired in parallel? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Soldier1968

Page 1 of 2 12