586,465 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Trying to install a vfd and spindle, servos go crazy.I need lots of help.

Trying to install a vfd and spindle, servos go crazy.I need lots of help.

I built my machine, topic of the build is posted. My machine uses Adept slides and have ran many programs with success. Until now, I have not needed a spindle, as I was only using a drag knife to to cut thin plastic. I tried to install a chinese vfd and spindle from Amazon and followed the directions. I didn't need to involve mach3, just wanted to run off of the vfd control. First try, with non-shielded cables and when I actuated the on button of the vfd, all of my servos went to limit switches. I thought it was EMI, so I bought a 240.00 cable from the Corvette guy, who makes cables for a living and installed it. No difference, still servos went to limit. I tried several things with no success, like making sure all of my grounds went to a central location as is on my cnc machine, but still servos go crazy. So, fast forwarding to now, I decided to Isolate the motor and control from my machine, not touching it anywhere except plugging into a different plug, and still my servos go to limit. I evidently insulted the Corvetteguy so, no help from him except his hint was the answer to my problem was in Mach3. I am not a genius, but since I thought I was operating this from it's own control, Mach3 didn't care, So not being a brain, I have no idea what is going on, so any help would be appreciated. I am running servos with Centipede system and like I say runs perfectly, up until trying to intrduce a vfd powered spindle., Please help.

Re: Trying to install a vfd and spindle, servos go crazy.I need lots of help.

You are fighting EMI interference, ensure the spindle is actually grounded. Many Chinese made spindles have a four pin connector on spindle but they do not install a ground wire from the spindle to pin 4 instead there is nothing. Search YouTube or zone and you will find many videos of people opening the end cap of the spindle finding the wire is missing, very common problem

You could try oscilloscope, its an amazing tool… you could pinpoint where interference come in.
    Check the power as well , that feeds your VFD, are you introducing any harmonics in to your grid, grounding and shielding wouldn’t help there. Filters would…
    I’ve used cheap spindles with vfd from amazon on several occasions and they work fine, though I didn’t have servos just steppers.

Is there any settings in Mach3 that would cause my servos to all power up to there limit switches when turning on the spindle in mach3? Thanks. Robert Brown. Thinking that the 2.2 vsd was just too powerful for my system, I sent it back. I am now thinking that maybe just a .5 kw 48 volt system might be better?, less EMI? I tried an air operated spindle and so far that is a fail because the CFM required for a viable spindle is about 20 cfm at 90 psi and I can only produce 11cfm at 90. Thanks again.