586,062 active members*
4,735 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

80W Laser 3/4" Plywood cutting speed

Has anybody got data on a cutting speed for 3/4" Plywood using an 80W CO2 laser? There seems to be conflicting data available on previous posts.

What kind of machine do you have?
    I have a rabbit laser 80W and could burly cut 1/2 in 2 passes!
    I think it also depends on what kind of plywood. I dont think cutting plywood with a laser is your best bet.

Good Info

Hi Arturov
    Thanks for the info. I am expecting delivery of a WK 80W laser very soon.
    I have read reports on the site from some members that have said that they could cut 1.5 cm ~0.6" with a 100W laser no problem also that 40 W lasers have handled 1/2" ply. So I have been a bit confused.
    Also there has been mention of air assist being able to help with the cutting ability. Do you know anything about this. I would imagine the 80W Rabbit is almost the same as the 80W WK as far as cutting ability goes? Anybody know if this assumption is correct?

I try to avoid cutting plywood on my laser cause of all the glue the plywood has. I usually use my old fashioned router and table saw. I would imagine the air assist would help get all the smoke out of its lens and help it cut smoother. I think you should be OK, to cut 1/2 plywood in one pass. But remember that certain chinese lasers after a while you have to refill (buy) the glass tube for it to work at its best again.

You will not be able to cut exterior ply that thick but interior ply you may just cut the thickness you want, it all in the glue.

it took me a long time to find a ply that would cut quickly and clean, on my LG1200 60watt laser i cut 3/8" at a speed of 6 power 100 and my tube is 21/2 years old now and still cuts as it did when new, i would estimate time on tube 1500 hours minimum which i put down to the water i use which i dis still myself,

I also have some aircraft ply which is only 1/32" thk and my machine struggles
    to cut.

Hope this is of use to you

Thanks for the info. I am doing some research on another site now and it seems that the comments about the glue being the problem with the laser are spot on. It looks like plywood’s with formaldehyde based glues are better for laser cutting. My environmentalist friend would go ape if he heard this, as these glues are bad for off gassing and are generally thought to be a no no if you are trying to maintain the quality of your indoor air.
    Having said all of this now what about cutting speeds on plain 3/4" pine???? Anybody.

I think you'd be looking in the range of .25" per second or less.
    It's been a long time; but I did some vector cutting on 3/4" oak with a 100 watt machine and it was sloooow.
    Very black edges too; due to the slow speed.
    I wouldn't want to get into production with anything like that; once your tube starts to fall off a bit it will get even worse.

Another reason plywood is difficult is that the air gaps mess with the laser beam; it's a lot better to cut a consistent material (like pine).

Air assist helps; nitrogen assist may be even better (to prevent excessive burning)

If you're trying one pass, be sure to focus on the center of the material, not the top or the bottom will be way out of focus and won't cut well.
    You could try two passes as well, focus the first 1/4 of the way down and the second at 3/4 down.