586,103 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Emco compact 5 conversion using servos. True closed loop using only the printer port

Emco compact 5 conversion using servos. True closed loop using only the printer port

I have been working on this for a while but finally got back to it. Using linuxcnc and PWM out of the printer port to $3 pwm modules. The below block diagram is pretty much how the loop is setup.. Although I am not using amc drives - but some cheap pwm modules from amazon. (not pwm+dir but pwm up and pwm down...)

Attachment 495516

Oh - I have done a lot of work on this - I did some non circular boring to get a 1204 ball screw to fit into the x axis..

Attachment 495518

Explaining the x axis assembly..

Re: Emco compact 5 conversion using servos. True closed loop using only the printer

Here is my latest video - just a quick overview so far..

Re: Emco compact 5 conversion using servos. True closed loop using only the printer

Oh - and homing of the X axis...

This is how I am setting up the pins.. I do have a turret now - so that will be pin 9

Looking at the parallel port - it looks like I have a pci version that runs what is called x mode. This balances in's and out's better..

Pin
    1 in Estop
    2 out x pwm
    3 out x dir
    4 out z pwm
    5 out z dir
    6 out spindle pwm
    7 out spindle dir
    8 out drives enable
    9 out
    10 in x encoder a
    11 in x encoder b
    12 in z encoder a
    13 in z encoder b
    14 in spindle encoder a
    15 in spindle encoder z
    16 in x home
    17 in z home

that bore cycle is super cool . I've seen your previous videos for this type of thing and there is no way I can watch them without at least one immediate replay .

crazy glue is great for broken or loose nails , or when stitches are required

be interested how you configure your turret . I got one for mine but been using push button to tool change
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    that bore cycle is super cool . I've seen your previous videos for this type of thing and there is no way I can watch them without at least one immediate replay .

crazy glue is great for broken or loose nails , or when stitches are required

be interested how you configure your turret . I got one for mine but been using push button to tool change
    Thanks!

If you want a painfully long video - I go through my thoughts on setting up the turret...

https://youtu.be/CPi-kQ9jjJY

thanks Sam . I was checking out some of your videos and came across that one just a little while ago . I didn't watch the whole thing yet but it looks very thorough , I saved it to my bookmarks and will follow it when I have a bit of time .
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

This is the X axis ball nut assembly fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230421_223646403.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	495548

Also playing with missing tooth index (so you can have in effect a 2 channel (A+Z) using 1 input...)

+/- 10 volts out of the printer port..

Found some circuits here.. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginn...to-10v-signal/

The first one from the forum seemed simple enough to try - although it took me a bit to figure out the filter was setup as a high pass - not low pass.. After figuring that out it made sense..

It should be more than good enough to do closed loop spindle control - and constant surface speed..

getting closer - using a single tooth index to do some simulated threading.. (and home switches..)

Side quest... Pressurized oiling...

Printer port vs external interface hardware (mesa)