586,075 active members*
4,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Bending, Forging, Extrusion... > 1/8" diameter 303 stainless steel rog bending

1/8" diameter 303 stainless steel rog bending

so I would like to bend 1/8" 303 stainless steel rod. The bends that I would like to make would need to be as 90 degree as possible. Never having done this and not having any specific tools to do this someone had suggested using a chisel on the inside edge of the rod and than using a cast iron pipe with a 1/8" dimeter. can anyone suggest a better way that I can get this job done well. I don't have alot of rod to spare so I need to get this done as acuratly as possible the first time. Thanks so much for all of your help... any links to tools orhow to would be really helpful. thanks guys/gals!

can anyone offer a good way to bend the above with simple tools.... are there any suggestions?

The picture is a bit fuzzy but it shows a little tool I picked up in a hardware store years ago. You screw it down to a block of wood pot your rod in one of the grooves and do your bend. There is a hole pattern to put in 1/4" dowel pins for tight little bends but I have lost some of the pins.

The bottom line is that you do not need anything complicated to make quite complex bends. A notch in a piece of metal or hardwood will work along with a length of tube to put over the wire or bar you are bending. Do some experimenting and see what works; experience is the best teacher sometimes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bender.JPG  
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    The picture is a bit fuzzy but it shows a little tool I picked up in a hardware store years ago. You screw it down to a block of wood pot your rod in one of the grooves and do your bend. There is a hole pattern to put in 1/4" dowel pins for tight little bends but I have lost some of the pins.

The bottom line is that you do not need anything complicated to make quite complex bends. A notch in a piece of metal or hardwood will work along with a length of tube to put over the wire or bar you are bending. Do some experimenting and see what works; experience is the best teacher sometimes
    that was extreamly helpful to me... can you provide me with the tools name or perhaps a company who makes it. This way I can go out and buy the contraption. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ssbender View Post
    that was extreamly helpful to me... can you provide me with the tools name or perhaps a company who makes it. This way I can go out and buy the contraption. thank you!
    I am sorry...the answer is no, I have no idea where to get one now and have not seen one for years. But you could make your own just using a hack saw and file, at least for the notches , you would need a drill press for the holes.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz334/09/

I just googled for Wire bending jig.

Thurmond

Quote Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
    http://www.dickblick.com/zz334/09/

I just googled for Wire bending jig.

Thurmond
    Why didn't I think of that?

I bought mine well over twenty years ago and the dickblick one looks identical even down to the little circular marks. I guess it shows if something is designed right the first time it is not necessary to change it.