586,052 active members*
3,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal axis servo motor apart and we have issues Houston

Fadal axis servo motor apart and we have issues Houston

This sucker squeeked and searched until finally causing a permanent E-stop in this little 3016. We took it apart and here is the report:

Seems like this can be rebuilt easily if I had the parts. The two support bearings were SHOT SHOT SHOT! This allowed the main body to grind on the permanent magnets on the inside of the housing. We also got major wear on one of the internal brushes. The yellow aluminum piece sanpped on dissasembly and one of the small magnets turned up missing. Here are the pics...doesnt it seem easy to fix when its apart? ..LOL Hope we can fix this with some forum help!

Where can we find parts for these.

Yellow piece is the resolver $50 http://shop.fadalcnc.com/cncpros/amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId={2DE53827-3336-45DD-9FEA-5EVERESTC05B7FE73B1}&ic=MTR%2D0085&eq=&Tp=

Brushes for the motor $90

http://shop.fadalcnc.com/cncpros/amazing/customkititems.asp?CartId={2DE53827-3336-45DD-9FEA-5EVERESTC05B7FE73B1}&kc=MTR%2D0014%2DKIT&eq=

I still need bearings and one small magnet for the tach

The helical coupling in the first photo can be obtained from Heli-Cal or SPI.
    Brushes can probabally be got from Helwig Carbon.
    The magnet arm you will probabally have to make a new one and secure the magnets with a high grade metal securing Epoxy.
    Or better still, look for a SEM motor on Ebay or Servo Stockist.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You have a Glentek!

Congrats,you have one of those top notch,high quality Glentek servos.Al is right,the yellow part is a spring coupler for the resolver.The broken black plastic part is whats left of the tach.What to do?The spring coupler is worth about 30 bucks.The brushes for the motor can be found elsewhere for way less then 90.00.If you have no experience rebuiling a servo and time isnt on your side,trade it for a rebuilt.You are gonna need a new tach,about 300.00,its 7 volts.If any of the windings are broken,it wont work.If you have a loose or broken magnet,epoxy it back in,make sure you get the polarity right!Bearings,self explanatory....Chuck the armature in your lathe and take a cut on the com,enough to get all the burn off it.If one motor is like this,the rest arent far behind,bearings,brushes including the tach.You can buy carbon from Mcmaster carr and make them(dont use Poco) or try Gettys as they use the same tach and are much more reasonable.I have a spare armature and end caps for this fine quality wonder.Contact me if you go the do-it myself route and are in need-good luck...You can also call your local Fadal service guy and see if they will sell you a core for parts,last I checked the going rate was about 250.00.

"If it was easy,everyone would do it"

Quote Originally Posted by JR1050 View Post
    Congrats,you have one of those top notch,high quality Glentek servos.Al is right,the yellow part is a spring coupler for the resolver.The broken black plastic part is whats left of the tach.What to do?The spring coupler is worth about 30 bucks.The brushes for the motor can be found elsewhere for way less then 90.00.If you have no experience rebuiling a servo and time isnt on your side,trade it for a rebuilt.You are gonna need a new tach,about 300.00,its 7 volts.If any of the windings are broken,it wont work.If you have a loose or broken magnet,epoxy it back in,make sure you get the polarity right!Bearings,self explanatory....Chuck the armature in your lathe and take a cut on the com,enough to get all the burn off it.If one motor is like this,the rest arent far behind,bearings,brushes including the tach.You can buy carbon from Mcmaster carr and make them(dont use Poco) or try Gettys as they use the same tach and are much more reasonable.I have a spare armature and end caps for this fine quality wonder.Contact me if you go the do-it myself route and are in need-good luck...You can also call your local Fadal service guy and see if they will sell you a core for parts,last I checked the going rate was about 250.00.

"If it was easy,everyone would do it"
    The missing part is actually a magentic piece not a plastic piece. We do have one small wire in the wind that broke ....why would this cause the whole unit not to work? I am going to try the do-it yourself route because it all seems very simple to re-assemble if I had the components. Do you have part numbers and/or internet links for these parts? I will detail every step of the way on here for future reference and help for other members.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The helical coupling in the first photo can be obtained from Heli-Cal or SPI.
    Brushes can probabally be got from Helwig Carbon.
    The magnet arm you will probabally have to make a new one and secure the magnets with a high grade metal securing Epoxy.
    Or better still, look for a SEM motor on Ebay or Servo Stockist.
    Al.
    AL the magnets were just alying in their positions on the middle coupler and werent glued at all. I didnt see any evidence of glue or paste....hmmmm