586,100 active members*
2,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: VM17 woes

VM17 woes

Wondering if someone could tell me whether I am inept or if I just purchased a boat anchor.

Machine in question is a

VM17 Series E SN 6529

We are a busy fabrication shop and this machine would be our first step into CNC machining. I purchased this mill relatively cheap from a casting manufacturer knowing it wasn't in the best shape but should suffice for milling rudder faces and plastic operations, etc.

We ran a subpanel from our main shop which is fed 240v high leg. My wire connections to the machine read L1->G 120V, L2-> 208V, L3-> 120V, Leg to leg reads roughly 240V avg.

Upon initial machine start up we let the smoke out. Machine seemed to fire up well, front panel operational and came online. Noticed smoke from the rear of the machine. Both braking resistors rolling smoke. Shut down the machine, cooled off resistors. I disconnected the B2 braking unit lead from the Yaskawa VFD. Upon restart of the machine I have a constant 61-70VAC.

The machine starts in E-Stop 450 which I assume may be a normal condition. I can reset the drives if I hold the reset button and jog them. I only get a few inches of movement out of the X and Y axis though.

I do notice that the red spindle stop button is illuminated. Not sure if this is a normal start up condition or possible contributing factor to the VFD charging the braking unit.

Where do I start?

Re: VM17 woes

It is necessary to start with the voltage L1, L2, L3 in theory should be the same !!!. I would recommend contacting the Milltronics service and requesting schematics for the machine. When there is smoke, maybe there is a short circuit somewhere!!! All this should be checked according to the scheme. Sincerely, Victor.

...240v maybe on the high side 220v would be best. A replacement most likely for about 500-600usd. Buy a name brand drive and save your self trouble.
    What model number Yaskawa VFD do you have?

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...240v maybe on the high side 220v would be best. A replacement most likely for about 500-600usd. Buy a name brand drive and save your self trouble.
    What model number Yaskawa VFD do you have?

DJ
    Yaskawa CIMR-MC5U2011

If the brake resistors are getting hot that means the VFD is dumping voltahe to the resistors. The drive will need to be repaired. they were a couple different wiring possibilities depending on the VFD firmware version.
    I suggest using Ideal Services out of Alexandra MN.

Replaceing the 626MC5 VFD with another drive can be a NIGHTMARE. due to the different firmware chip versions and the drive parameter settings. ( this is one complicated VFD, - set one parameters it affects 3 others.

Give me a call
    952-288-6340

SportyBob