586,103 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can 3d scanning technnology be used in cnc machining?

My friend owns a cnc machining company, recently, he was looking for options to optimize casting machining. And then he was recommened to use Scantech KSCAN-Magic 3D Laser Scanner. (https://www.3d-scantech.com/product/...te-3d-scanner/) As the salesman said, 3D scanning the casting and comparing it with the CAD model is one of the most popular way to optimize casting machining. I'm not very sure...

Re: Can 3d scanning technnology be used in cnc machining?

I can certainly have a place in the workflow. A 3D scan is a good starting place for reverse-engineering of an existing part, but it's not usually accurate enough to machine off of directly, for precision parts. If your process involves casting and then machining, though, it's generally accurate enough to base the casting on (figuring in any shrinkage factors), as long as the machining is done from the CAD data. There are software programs that will compare a scan of a finished part with the CAD data and point out any discrepancies; these are often used for quality-control purposes.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

there are guys that can build such scanners ...kind of diy

then take the points to software, and do your thing .... thus is not that expensive
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

The answer to the question is yes.Now I have another question;is the original poster involved in any way with the sale of the scanners mentioned?

Absolutely, 3D scanning technology can be a valuable asset in CNC machining processes. By capturing the precise geometry of physical objects and converting them into digital models, 3D scanners enable accurate replication of intricate shapes and dimensions..

Incorporating 3D scanning into CNC machining workflows offers several advantages. It aids in reverse engineering, allowing the recreation of existing parts without relying solely on technical drawings. Secondly, it enhances quality control by comparing the manufactured parts against the original 3D model, identifying any discrepancies