586,080 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > I need to partially dismantle and move a Bridgeport/Hardinge VMC1000/22 mill,

I need to partially dismantle and move a Bridgeport/Hardinge VMC1000/22 mill,

And I really need a manual that covers the process as much as possible. Sadly, because of changes that have been made to local roads and buildings it is impossible to get an appropriate vehicle close for the machine, hence it has been designated as scrap despite the low hours and generally excellent condition.

It's a 2003 model.

Any advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbit View Post

Any advice appreciated.
    Just to clarify, I'd love to reassemble this machine on a new site, although officially classed as scrap there's no reason not to get it running again.

Re: I need to partially dismantle and move a Bridgeport/Hardinge VMC1000/22 mill,

What kind of vehicle do you have to use - a bicycle?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: I need to partially dismantle and move a Bridgeport/Hardinge VMC1000/22 mill,

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What kind of vehicle do you have to use - a bicycle?
    I can get a 7.5ton gross vehicle there, which means a 3 ton payload. The mill weighs a lot more than that, I may be forced to dismantle it, but I'm worried I might never get it accurately assembled again, never having taken one apart before.

I'd look into renting a forklift that can lift the machine, and move it to an area where you can load a larger truck.

I can get a 7.5ton gross vehicle there, which means a 3 ton payload. The mill weighs a lot more than that, I may be forced to dismantle it, but I'm worried I might never get it accurately assembled again, never having taken one apart before.
    I don't think the truck would suit
    You're looking at a basic machine about 5 metric tonne (11000 lbs)
    ... dismantling may lead to breaking the older cables / fittings, and reassembly issues... it was factory assembled then wired, then shipped as a complete unit, disassembly would mean you would have to cut wires.
    I'd try to do it assembled.
    I consider using "skates" to move it to an area, where a fork can lift from the back. Most weight is in the bed and Z column

It's a nightmare job. The machine is in a workshop on top of a small hill, with one steep gravelly and potholed access road that obviously hasn't been maintained since the mill was installed 20 years ago.

It's a nightmare job. The machine is in a workshop on top of a small hill, with one steep gravelly and potholed access road that obviously hasn't been maintained since the mill was installed 20 years ago.
    How about getting a machinery transporting/moving company to quote the shift. Get them to figure it out.
    I'm sure they would have handled similar jobs.

Let them have the headache, you haven't outlayed, or dismantled a thing..... yet

A crane company has said that they think they can set up a crane on the steep access road, lift the machinery from the concrete pad in front of the workshop, swing it around 180 degrees and place it on a trailer also on the access road behind the crane. it's going to be tight.

Currently, I'm looking for lifting points which I'm told by an old chap who saw the machine arrive are threaded holes in the cast iron "chassis". On installation it appears all holes were filled with silicone rubber, it's not easy to see which are lifting points and which might be access holes used in machine assembly.

A manual would be very useful.

If I remember, I'll look at our manuals & see if it mentions slinging points.
    If you go that way, then the guarding would have openings for access. I would advise against having slings/chains be in contact with the guards when lifting, it'll destroy them.
    Our machines are uncrated outside, forked into the factory area, and skated into final position (if fork truck cannot place it). Our area is pretty flat, so any slope adds to the problem
    Skates are a plate & wide roller bearing assembly (if you weren't aware)
    https://industrialsolution.com.au/cd...g?v=1638236871

Thanks Superman, I really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks Superman, I really appreciate your help with this.
    Here are the installation files

Doesn't say anything about slings or Cranes. Only mentions the use of forklift, and it's needed capacity.
    Bit of info regarding travelling stops and support of the Z axis counterweight.

Best of luck with the shift.