586,115 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lagunmatic 250 help

I have a new to me Lagunmatic 250 with an upgraded m400 Centroid CNC system. I just bought it and it didn't have a draw bar. I had a 5/8-11 threaded rod that I tried, but I am not sure if it fits or if it takes 7/16. The guy who had it before me had it in a wood shop and did some wood working with it and the drawbar hole has sawdust in it. I am not sure how much as I could be screwing the 5/8 rod into the sawdust or the tool holder end. Maybe that's why I can't unseat the tool holder, the sawdust absorbs the impact?I tried hitting the end of the threaded rod to take out the tool holder, but it wouldn't pop out. I just want to make sure it is a taper fit and not some weird auto draw bar that I can't see. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anybody has the draw bar dimensions, that would be a huge help.Thanks

Re: Lagunmatic 250 help

...use some PVC tubing (water pipe) to vacuum out the quill/draw bar bore...... is this machine 40 Taper (NMTB) type holders? It is possible the tool holder is bolted on to the face of the quill I, think 4places for a one tool operation Shell Mill or insert tool holder.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...use some PVC tubing (water pipe) to vacuum out the quill/draw bar bore...... is this machine 40 Taper (NMTB) type holders? It is possible the tool holder is bolted on to the face of the quill I, think 4places for a one tool operation Shell Mill or insert tool holder.

DJ

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even think of using PVC, sometimes I over think stuff when the answer is so easy. I will give it a go when I get home from work. Every thing I have read said it is a 40 taper, but there are no drive dogs so it would likely would not be an NMTB but I did read it is probably a CAT40. It could be bolted. I am at work and don't have pics, but let me try to describe it. The lower part of the spindle that actually tightens the collet (collar?) is hex, above that is another type of collar with grooves cut for a spanner wrench and it has 3 Allen screws in it. I assumed the grooves for the spanner were to hold the spindle while you loosened the collet to change tools as I don't see a spindle brake, but the 3 Allen screws makes me think they are set screws and you can unscrew the top collar. But this is all speculation as the mill didn't come with a manual and I can't find one online.

...sounds like an Erickson QC type (aka Quick Change) They were common and should be available at good prices. also, to remove tool use a spanner wrench or caveman it with Punch and turn the Nut to break loose, then turn nut by hand clockwise until hand tight, then use the spanner wrench again to pop out the Tool.

I found this picture online, it's not very good, but you can see the upper collar with the spanner grooves and the hex screws.

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...sounds like an Erickson QC type (aka Quick Change) They were common and should be available at good prices. also, to remove tool use a spanner wrench or caveman it with Punch and turn the Nut to break loose, then turn nut by hand clockwise until hand tight, then use the spanner wrench again to pop out the Tool.
    Yes!!! Thank you so much. It's frustrating when you don't know enough to even know what to Google. It would have taken me weeks to find it. I found a pic based on your info and it helps me understand how it works. You saved me a lot of grief
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20230822-083931.jpg  

...Bingo. we have a winner. Kwit-Switch 300 was the name I could not remember......There were other types/brands too back then, so you may want to double check which tool holder type you have ..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/13457563974...Bk9SR5667OzDYg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	495920