586,077 active members*
3,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Visual Mill 5 - Requirements ???

Visual Mill 5 - Requirements ???

Does anyone know what the requirements are to run Visual Mill 5? Like what speed of Pentium, how much memory, how much hard disk space is needed?

I couldn't find that info on their website. Of course, I didn't look in every nook and cranny either, shouldn't have to. That should be on the first page for that product. Gee, what an oversight!

Thanks for any info...........Sam

Minimum hardware requirements for running VisualMill 5.0 are:
    · Intel Pentium class processor
    · 64 Meg RAM
    · 95 Meg hard disk space
    · 256 Meg Page file
    · OpenGL compatible display card

what it says when you install the demo :P but i like to add on... 2400amd xp will take around 5 mins or so for a simulation and 2-3 for g-code . so if you plan on running a pen200 might take hour +to do some stuff

Well, I have two computers.
    1. My desktop is a AMD XP 2400, Gig Ram, 80 Gig Harddrive.
    2. Laptop is a P2-200Mhz, 128 Megs Ram, 5 Gig harddrive.

As you can see my laptop is lacking somewhat. But I would like to use my laptop for running my CNC machine. Obviously I can't move my desktop to the garage every time I wish to make a part. So, is there a way to have my Desktop machine create the toolpaths and then transfer that to my laptop so it doesn't have to do much/any processing?

Thanks for any info........Sam

Well other then maybe saving the file then doing the simulation's on the desktop. i dont know of a way but im no expert on the program yet thats for sure.

Why dont you download the demo? and see how it runs on your pen200 .

when i said hour for the code and stuff i should have said would take a hour for a 3d tool cut. If this is simple 2 axis it wouldnt take any time at all.

Sorry can't help the much about this but luck you can download the demo
    http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Downloads/downloads.shtml

sendkeys:
    You could help me with one thing. I keep hearing people talk about 2-axis, 2.5-axis and 3-axis cutting. Don't all CNC routers need 3-axis software? The only reason I could think of for 2-axis is if your cutting metal with a torch.

If visual Mill-5 proper 3-axis software for using a CNC router? (Not 2.5 axis whatever that is?)

Any explanation would be appreciated.......

2.5 axis is what is called for most of the time when wood routing. The Z lowers to position and the the X and Y do their moves in a single plane. This works well for pockets and profiles on sheet stock.

3 axis is where the X, Y and Z all move simultaneously allowing for complex contours.

ddgman said it all goodjob

Sam

I also use the desktop laptop system.
    VM5 comes packaged with XPert DNC which I use on my machine. Note that XPert DNC will NOT run without VM running as it is tied in to the dongle code. If you currently have software on your laptop that sends your GCode to your machine you will not need VM on the laptop as you can transfer GCode with any removable media. I believe you will find VM somewhat sluggish on your laptop especially if you are going to use 3D. I run a P3 800 laptop and 3d generation is almost painful. Strongly recomended the majority of programming be done on the desktop. My P4 2.4C does the same 3D generation in the blink of an eye.
    Very strongly recomended that you get the USB DONGLE if you purchase VM and extreme convenience for file transfer between the 2 machines with a USB jumpdrive.

My 2 cents.

Sam, speed issues aside, doing CAD work with any CAD program on ANY laptop will get old real fast. Been there, done that, and it's no fun. Picking elements in a drawing which you wish to edit or otherwise modify requires much better pointing precision than clicking links on a webpage. The combination of a small screen and a typical laptop pointing device will leave you frustrated or blind......or both. When I finally upgraded my desktop and put the CAD on it, the first habit I had to break myself of was zooming continuously for everything I started to do. That habit came from trying to draw on a screen that was too small for too long. I'd say offhand the switch from laptop to desktop allows me to finish a drawing in 2/3 the former time required, and I don't have a headache from eyestrain when its done.