586,080 active members*
3,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simodrive 611?

We have a CNC router that is using a Simodrive 611 for the main spindle VFD. I am completely unfamiliar with these Siemens drives. I needed to retrofit a new spindle to this machine because the old original spindle (that failed) has been out of production for about 15years. The new spindle matches the specs of the old one as closely as I could get. (same RPM range, same voltage, same hp/kw rating, same number of poles) I had hoped that I could get away without having to do any reprogramming of the drive. I did a couple short start tests to check that the rotation was correct. (Had to swap a pair of wires to get that right as always.) Then I started the spindle run in program... When I came back to check on it a couple hours later the control had errored out, and the Simodrive 611 had blown all 3 of the fuses feeding it. I replaced the 3 fuses, and immediately at power on, it cleared one of the new fuses again. I pulled the power supply module of the Simodrive and opened it up and one of the 3 main big IGBT modules is blown. (no other visible signs of damage.)

Anyway my main questions are... Is this a coincidental problem or is this a problem that the new spindle is causing because the configuration isn't correct for it and is overloading the drive? Will replacing the board with the blown IGBT in the Simodrive most likely fix it, or is there probably other problems with it? I don't want to replace one part only to blow up the new one because of other issues.

Re: Simodrive 611?

Well, we ordered a used board, and found we ordered the wrong one. We read the wrong part number off of the board. We ordered a board that used the same base PCB but was different. The used board we ordered did use the same main IGBTs as our old one, so we swapped out the bad ones on our board with ones from new one. I put it back together and now it powers up and gives no alarms and the DC bus is fully charged to it's 600v, but I can't get the spindle to run. I tried connecting a pc with the Simocom U software, but I don't see any alarms or problems that I can recognize, but like I said I'm completely unfamiliar with these drives. I really don't know what to do next.

Attaching parameter file saved from Simocom U.
    Attachment 496370