586,103 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Cutting copper tape using 40W CO2 laser

I am working on my master's project for which I need to cut precise shapes from copper tape (thickness < 0.1mm) (something like this: bit.ly/46JYHf5). My lab currently has the Full Spectrum Laser H-Series Desktop CO2 which has 40w power. Is it possible to perform this or should I drop this idea? The shape is attached with the post. Thickness of the traces is 0.75mm. I saw on some forums that a metal marking spray can be used to reduce the reflectivity of the metal and several passes can force the metal to accept heat. Any guidance or resources on the matter would be really appreciated. Cheers.

Re: Cutting copper tape using 40W CO2 laser

Hi,
    I had always been led to believe that copper is an excellent reflector of CO2 laser energy, thus trying to cut or engrave it risks reflecting the beam back into the laser
    with unforeseen consequences.

I make PCBs with my CNC mill. If the copper were glued to a substrate then you could use a 0.5mm endmill to cut around the periphery of the copper part you want,
    whereon you might use some solvent to dissolve the glue. I regularly have copper traces of 0.2mm width, although they are done with a conical engraving bit.
    For through hole board I use a 0.5mm endmill and regard 0.6mm between traces and 0.6mm min trace width to be limiting resolution.

Craig

Re: Cutting copper tape using 40W CO2 laser

Cutting copper tape with a 40W CO2 laser presents an efficient and precise solution for various applications. The focused laser beam rapidly heats the copper, causing it to melt and vaporize, resulting in clean and accurate cuts. The non-contact nature of laser cutting eliminates the need for physical force, reducing the risk of deformation or damage to the delicate copper material. However, certain considerations are vital to successful cutting. Copper's high thermal conductivity requires optimal laser power and speed settings to prevent excessive heat transfer and achieve desired results. Additionally, adequate ventilation is necessary to dissipate fumes produced during the process. The 40W CO2 laser's controlled energy output and adaptable settings make it an ideal tool for intricate copper tape cutting, finding utility in electronics, crafts, and beyond.