586,533 active members*
2,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > X axis runs past end of travel safety switch at startup when power button is pushed.

X axis runs past end of travel safety switch at startup when power button is pushed.

I have a Bridgeport interact series 1 tnc151b heidenhain controller. When I push the yellow power button on, the x-axis motor runs the table straight to the end of travel switch and machine shuts down like the power was shut off. It will not let me have a chance to reference the table at all. Appreciate any help to fix this problem thank you Keith

Re: X axis runs past end of travel safety switch at startup when power button is push

...has anyone been messing with wiring? Did the x axis run ok before this happen?

Re: X axis runs past end of travel safety switch at startup when power button is push

Hi,
    that sounds like an encoder fault, if the encoder is faulty or gets disconnected from the drive the driv will often do an over-limit excursion.

Craig

Machine ran very well up until this happen. I came down to the shop and turn on the power then went through the homing of the drives and all went well until I rapped the X to the middle of the table and the drive stopped and the machine just shut down. I had to reset the power on panel and when I pushed on the power button is when the X drive ran over the safety stop. I had to by hand turn the belt on the drive motor to move table off of switches. I did that about 3 times trying to get it to run. Each time it ran over the safety switch.

No, the wiring was never mess with .Machine ran very well up until this happen. I came down to the shop and turn on the power then went through the homing of the drives and all went well until I rapped the X to the middle of the table and the drive stopped and the machine just shut down. I had to reset the power on panel and when I pushed on the power button is when the X drive ran over the safety stop. I had to by hand turn the belt on the drive motor to move table off of switches. I did that about 3 times trying to get it to run. Each time it ran over the safety switch.

...check to see if, the Jog Button for X is functioning correctly...could be sticking.... Also, want type brand/modal Servo Drives do you have?

DJ

The motor is SEM Ferrite Brushed DC servomotor made in England. The end cap of motor reads ( ERO 115 Id.Nr 217 900 04) DR. Johannes Heidenhain Made in west Germany.
    I just checked the joy stick for X rapped movement and it checked out OK.
    Thanks for any input. Keith

...I would suspect the Tach feedback is not working. Check wiring 1st, then brushes inside the motor if, you can access them. with all power OFF on the machine check that the Tach is outputing somekind voltage by spinning the motor by hand and check with volt meter. The Tach voltage would be marked on the motor (I think) 7.0VDC@1000rpm for example is common. So, set the meter for low voltage scale.

DJ

PS- Power Brushes are the big ones...the Tach brushes are small ones

Hi,
    the part no. OP has provided is for a Heidenhain encoder, not a tacho-generator, it may have both i suppose.

hard to find info on er0-115 encoders

I have ERO-115-200 encoders on my CNC with sem dc motors that were supplied from Bridgeport circa 1989. i've been trying to get them to work with a galil motion card for about a month now. i can verify now, without question that this was a proprietary encoder made by heindenhain. its an 'analogue' sinusoidal output with an output in the .5v amplitude range. galil does make a board to use this signal but it will only work with select motion cards. the story i got was heindenhain supplied the encoders for sem to install, then they were sent to Bridgeport for use on their tnc series controlled bridgeports..
    also the encoders were incorporated into the rear armature of the motors making a replacement encoder a custom deal.
    my solution was to sell off the old motors/encoders as spare parts and strike a deal with servo dynamics for a new brushless drive system with new drives. more than i wanted to spend but still got a good deal..

Craig

Hi to all that gave me some input as to what might have been wrong. After checking out the joy stick and the motor, they checked out OK. I pulled the circuit board for the X drive that is in the base cabinet of the machine. It has some components that where burn up.I'm now looking for a board ( Bosch Z15 -1- 240v S-Nr.517620 ).
    I also have a ?. Is it better to turn all power off the the machine when done for the day or leave the machine powered up. Didn't know if it were better for the electric components just to let the power on instead of on and off all the time. Thanks again. Keith