586,103 active members*
2,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

linear rail & rack & pinion installation

hello
    i am a newbie to cnc design and wanna know your opinion about the cnc router design in the pictures attached bellow
    iam using hrg20 linear rail and 1.25 module rack ,nema 23 425oz stepper motors in all axis
    the frame build from 80mmx3mm square tube
    and thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic01.jpg   pic02.jpg   pic03.jpg   pic04.jpg  

pic01.jpg   pic02.jpg   pic03.jpg   pic04.jpg  

pic_01.jpg   pic_02.jpg   pic_03.jpg   pic_04.jpg  

Re: linear rail & rack & pinion installation

Hi Ben - Sorry - no pictures attached try again via the go advanced at the bottom of the panel. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Ben - Sorry - no pictures attached try again via the go advanced at the bottom of the panel. Peter
    The images are now visible.
    Community Manager <a href="https://de.industryarena.com/" target="_blank">https://de.industryarena.com/</a>

Hi Ben- In principle the concept is good. 3mm is a bit thin at the bearings and track so a doubler or different tube is the go there. Are the tubes aluminium or steel? Peter

hi peteeng and thanks for your reply
    the tube is steel 80mm*3mm

or maybe this design is better?
    need your advise

Hi Ben - I would not use the construction extrusion. Too costly and not very stiff. Your original design is simpler and just needs local tuning. The less parts and simpler the design the better. KISS Peter

Hi Ben - I would not use the construction extrusion. Too costly and not very stiff. Your original design is simpler and just needs local tuning. The less parts and simpler the design the better. KISS Peter
    whats you mean by local tuning?

Hi Ben - 3mm is a bit thin at connections so use a 3mm plate as a doubler to make it thicker. Since the original design was steel use 3mm steel to get 6mm total at areas needed. Peter

Hi,
    for the marginal extra cost of thick walled rectangular tubing I would go for the thickest wall you can find, probably 6mm, but not impossibly 9mm or 12mm.

There is no substitute for machine stiffness, so I would not consider 9mm or 12mm excessive.

Craig

Hi,
    the commonly stocked SHS (thickest wall) here is NZ is 75mm x 75mm x 6, the next size up is 98mm x 89mm x 6mm and thereafter its 100mm x 100mm x 9.
    All the SHS in 10mm, 12.5mm and 16mm wall is available on indent order only. Given that NZ is so far away from anywhere, indent order is somewhat of a barrier.

Craig

Hi Ben - 80x80 is a bit narrow to place two rails on and have room for a drive. That is if you place the drive on the same face as the rails. 80mm is narrow for say two 20mm rails anyway. 100mm or 120mm would be better. My medium size router uses a nominal 110x90mm fabricated section with the rails on the 110mm face. My latest designs use a 200mm top and 120mm deep section. The rails are on the top not the front. This makes organisation of the cars easier (in my view that is) Once you start putting in cars and a saddle etc other issues will arise to solve. Peter

edit - You have modelled the sections with sharp corners. Steel sections have a big radius in the corners that you will need to model so you don't put things like rails or racks on the edges like in your model. These radii take up a lot of space....

hello peter and thanks for your advice
    for x axis i plan to use 100x50mm squre tube because 80x80 is a bit narrow to place two rails as you say
    and for the y axis what if i add 2080 vslot profile to simplifying linear rail and rack installation using t nut,Will this have an effect on the rigidity of the machine?
    for the corner radius of 80mm square tube i think its 3mm,i can send them to local turner for rectification and making it flat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic01.jpg   pic02.jpg  

hello
    the max wall thikness i found is 4 mm

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    the commonly stocked SHS (thickest wall) here is NZ is 75mm x 75mm x 6, the next size up is 98mm x 89mm x 6mm and thereafter its 100mm x 100mm x 9.
    All the SHS in 10mm, 12.5mm and 16mm wall is available on indent order only. Given that NZ is so far away from anywhere, indent order is somewhat of a barrier.

Craig
    the max wall thikness i found is 4 mm

Hi,
    where abouts are you?

All the standard steel sections list 75x75x6 and 89x89x6 and 100x100x9. Keep looking. 100x100x9 is a favourite of engineers/architects for columns in houses.
    Try companies that specialize in architectral steel fabrication, you will find thick walled SHS and RHS.

Craig

Hi Ben - Construction extrusions are convenient (anything convenient has a downside) but they are expensive and very poor structural elements when compared to std extrusions or std SHS/RHS steel. See attached. You need to stay in the one universe I think. So stay in steel or aluminium world... Std Aluminium extrusions have square edges if that's what you want. There's lots of ways to solve various issues, you need to develop the design a bit more... eg if you use 3mm for the structural elements this is too thin for threads. So use a 6mm doubler (or backing plate as some say) that is threaded to match the bolt pattern. In this way you get local stiffness at hard points plus the thin bits are good for the global parts as this keeps the weight down. eg if you used a 100x100x3mm al square extrusion for the gantry then use a 20x6mm thick strip (AL or steel) and thread it to match the rail holes. Slide it thru the section and get a couple of bolts in and off you go. Al has the advantage that its easy to make things from, a cheap drill press, a jig saw some files and your good to go and it does not rust (my pet hate)

One thing to think about is what are you going to use the machine for? If it's for flat product, plastic and timber then the machine can be very light. If it's for aluminium then it needs to be very rigid...Peter

edit - regarding mounting rails on construction extrusion. Put bluntly it's not very stiff. Look at those thin edges your bolting too. I know its done but if you do the math you'll see that they flex quite a bit. Do it with a backing plate or thick tube and its much much stiffer and betterer....

Hi Ben - Construction extrusions are convenient (anything convenient has a downside) but they are expensive and very poor structural elements when compared to std extrusions or std SHS/RHS steel. See attached. You need to stay in the one universe I think. So stay in steel or aluminium world... Std Aluminium extrusions have square edges if that's what you want. There's lots of ways to solve various issues, you need to develop the design a bit more... eg if you use 3mm for the structural elements this is too thin for threads. So use a 6mm doubler (or backing plate as some say) that is threaded to match the bolt pattern. In this way you get local stiffness at hard points plus the thin bits are good for the global parts as this keeps the weight down. eg if you used a 100x100x3mm al square extrusion for the gantry then use a 20x6mm thick strip (AL or steel) and thread it to match the rail holes. Slide it thru the section and get a couple of bolts in and off you go. Al has the advantage that its easy to make things from, a cheap drill press, a jig saw some files and your good to go and it does not rust (my pet hate)

One thing to think about is what are you going to use the machine for? If it's for flat product, plastic and timber then the machine can be very light. If it's for aluminium then it needs to be very rigid...Peter

edit - regarding mounting rails on construction extrusion. Put bluntly it's not very stiff. Look at those thin edges your bolting too. I know its done but if you do the math you'll see that they flex quite a bit. Do it with a backing plate or thick tube and its much much stiffer and betterer....
    ok thanks
    now if i go for the steel tube 100X6MM should i use the same profile 100X6 for all machine part table frame ,legs...or 6mm for the machine axis and thinerprofile say 3mm for the other machine parts

Hi,
    it depends on what sort of stiffness you want. If you want to cut aluminum then you want as stiff as you can get.....and that means 100 x 100 x 9, not 100 x 100 x 6.

By all means use lighter material for things like legs and stuff like that, but anything you want to bear cutting forces should be a stiff as you can possibly make it.

There is one certainty about CNC machines, there is no such thing as too stiff. Were you to go overboard someone might comment 'you could still do a good job
    but with a lighter machine', but no CNC'er ever tires of an overbuilt machine, but tire immediately of an underbuilt machine.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    it depends on what sort of stiffness you want. If you want to cut aluminum then you want as stiff as you can get.....and that means 100 x 100 x 9, not 100 x 100 x 6.

By all means use lighter material for things like legs and stuff like that, but anything you want to bear cutting forces should be a stiff as you can possibly make it.

There is one certainty about CNC machines, there is no such thing as too stiff. Were you to go overboard someone might comment 'you could still do a good job
    but with a lighter machine', but no CNC'er ever tires of an overbuilt machine, but tire immediately of an underbuilt machine.

Craig
    hi peter
    why i planed for lighter machine because i have already the electronics part with nema 23 425oz stepper motor,But now I am confused if i can use these motors with such a rigid machine as you described or should i upgrade for nema 34 too

i pursached these motor because first i planed to build printnc cnc from threedesign but i found ballscrew not suited for large cnc 8X4 and high quality ballscrew are very expensive
    but now i found this plasma cutter in alibaba and i liked its simple design and inspired me to build a cnc router like that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H22f442d7068046f9bbe6db54d5627fb5X.jpg