586,058 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question The Right Career Path

As of Right now I'm going to school at a state college under Automated Manufacturing in the hopes of getting a job in a decent CNC shop. I've got one semester left after this summer and then I'm relocating 200 miles away in a place where I don't have many contacts with those in the manufacturing industry. There are however a handfull of small CNC shops which you have to dig to find. Right now, I'm working as a machinist in an all manual machine shop. The thing that I'm worried about is that I don't have the CNC experance that a lot of people are looking for, I mean I get a decent amount at school but not that much due to a limited budget.

So my main question is what are prospective employers looking for when they want to hire on a new operator/programmer? I've got a good 5 years work experance but only about a year in the Machining and manufacturing department.

Any advice would be greatly appreicated due to the fact that the area I want to go has a fairly narrow job market and at 21 I don't have that much experance in the field.

Carl

Hi Carl,

Are you training for machine operation in general, or cnc programming? Both?

Consider your own aptitudes, which of the above suits you better? Are you meticulous about machinery setup, and working out good methods of part setup? Does running a big batch of parts appeal to you, or sound boring?

Is the operation of a cadcam system more to your liking? This could involve part modelling and program creation, and proveout on the cnc itself. If you have to use someone else's idea of a good software package, this can take some time to learn (unless it is OneCNC XR of course, shameless plug, but I am serious, too )

So consider your own preferences and strengths. Some guys might like to just learn one machine and get really good at running it, others might like to design, program, run and fix the cnc, just to keep life interesting. Then you need to look at which of these scenarios actually exist in the shops you visit for job openings.

Rest assured, that you never stop learning, so you had best be the type who likes it while its going on. Patience is a great asset, too.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Carl here is some additional food for thought. At 21, employers in this field know that you cannot have a great deal of experience so do not try to sell that to them. Employers like, are looking for and need workers that are honest, ambitious, conscientious and show up for work every day. Find a job (read any Job) in a machine shop that you feel has a future for experience in this field, once you are in then move toward the type of work you like by indicating to management your desire. This may take awhile so in the mean time work hard, show up for work on time, be patient and continue to learn.

Ken

Some more food for thought, when you interview pay close attention to the cleanliness, organization, and layout of the shop. This will give you a good indication of how the company is run without having to ask. Also if the equipment is old and or in disrepatir, or looks as though it hasn't been run in a while, you might want to look elsewhere.

Good luck.

If you are coming to the New Engalnd area, I might be able to shoot you some contacts for companies in the area if you decide what you want to do.

Thanks for the input guys. I knew this place would be the best to get some input on getting on the right track once I graduate. As far as the program that I'm in is concerned I'm kinda a do all guy. We spend some time on manual machining which I'm doing right now at work. We get a decent about of cad experance with autocad and my personal favorite solidworks. As far as programming goes I've spent awhile working on doing manual code, a little bobcad (it's a decent program for small stuff), and the rest of the time was spent on mastercam. The program deals with fluid power for about 4 weeks and some other kinds of power transmission for manufacturing. So as far as what kind of position I want to get into I'm not so sure yet. I would like to get something that doesn't just involve operating the machine with no thought. I know it happens more often than we would like but if we didn't like what we did, we probably wouldn't be doing it. I like doing all of the cad/cam computer stuff but it is nice to be able to see what you just programmed running on the machine.

As far as the shop being clean and organized I've already learned that one the hard way twice. Once building hydraulic pumps and now with the machine shop that I'm working in now which is going down the toilet do to bad management decisions.

I do realize that at my age I don't know Jack. I know that this two year program gives me a piece of paper that says that I know the basics and I'm ready for the real learning to begin. Before I went to this school I was going to a university for Mechanical Engineering but it really wansn't for me so I've seen a little more than some when it comes to the design process and the about the math that goes along with it.

This summer I'm going to try and go talk to some of the shops so that my face is familier and they know a little about who I am. Would now be a good time to give them a resume and cover letter or should I wait until I am really looking? Any other suggestions when I go and talk to these shops. I really appreciate any input.

Carl

PS Sorry TAG I'm on the other coast or close enough to it, if you know anyone in northern Idaho I'd be interested, but thanks for the offer anyway.

I have to laugh a little about resumés: there's one camp that specializes in making people look like God's chief of staff, and then there's another camp that "dissembles" the resumés to try to decipher what the guy really knows!

But, a good honest report cannot be faulted, of course. If you can present a convincing argument for your mechanical abilities and inclinations, it would be of great help. If you have built stuff, taken things apart, reasssembled them again, this, to me, would be impressive experience, before you actually get to touch a cnc.

While you work on manual metalwork, keep a diary of what you have done. Your prospective boss will want to know your ratio of success/screwups Not a literal number, but rather an indication of how much responsibility he can safely trust you with. We don't mind so much training newbies who know they don't know, and promptly ask for instruction, than to see someone blundering along without a clue. Be humble and teachable. Learn quickly, if that is possible. Don't forget what you learn from your mistakes, either. We (employers) don't like to have to teach the same things over again every couple of weeks

If you can successfully follow instructions to overhaul or build something (this could include woodworking), that would also be a personal asset for you.

You need to be comfortable with the simple trignometry and fractions. This means that your math marks should look good, and if necessary, upgrade those skills with appropriate courses.

There are some employers who would rather not hire an "old hand" because they may be "teach- resistant". So consider that this is an advantage for you, and that your employer knows that he can teach you to work the way he wants it done.

Keep your machines and work area relatively clean and neat. Messes happen, but clean up after. Put your tools away, take care of the measuring equipment, and report malfunctioning equipment. Work safely, not only for your own benefit, but with alertness for the safety of those in your workzone.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am an apprentice at this medium sized job shop kind of place.
    We make gears, so I get to work with a lot of different machines.
    For the first year I worked mostly on the cncs through.
    Is this is a good sign?
    Cause my boss don't really have anyone else.

There is this job we have being doing and it's almost finish with the cncs.

*shrug*

I guess I am getting bored after a year.

And... look at what I made! ;p (random plug)

1 inside the trigger 2

Hey DDM, I am currently in the same situation, I have only 2 years experience in CNC(masteredge 3500 and ProC) in a glass factory in Brisbane. Im starting to know a fair bit about machining and the CAM section, so Im looking to a do a little work in the CAD department. Hopefully I can stay with glass because I am comfortable working with it and the pay seems a little better.
    Cheers Danial