586,076 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynapath > Changing a tool mid-cycle (delta 20)

Changing a tool mid-cycle (delta 20)

Hi all

Is there a way to change/replace a broken tool mid-cycle without losing place in the program?

I had a tool break during a drip fed program and wanted to replace it. I hit motion stop then switched the spindle off. I put a new tool in, then pressed "mode select > jog" and touched off my tool. Then I pressed "tool cal" in the tool table to store the length offset. When I returned to "auto" mode and hit cycle start, it gave me a format error.

Is there a way to resume a drip fed program after pausing?

Asking the same lines: is it possible to select a point in the program to resume from?

Thanks

Lee

Re: Changing a tool mid-cycle (delta 20)

...maybe if, you knew the Line number and depending on your PC DNC software you are using.

DJ

I'm not aware of a method that will allow you to go to a certain line in drip feed mode.

You can resume from certain points in the program provided the work offset, tool offsets, spindle speed and feedrate will be read before any move. I believe I had to modify my post processor to include all that information at the start of every operation in case I had to interrupt my program.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by cngbrick View Post
    I'm not aware of a method that will allow you to go to a certain line in drip feed mode.

You can resume from certain points in the program provided the work offset, tool offsets, spindle speed and feedrate will be read before any move. I believe I had to modify my post processor to include all that information at the start of every operation in case I had to interrupt my program.

RT
    Ah ok! That makes sense - I'll definitely take a look into doing the same. Though, it might make more sense just to find a laptop I can keep by the mill, to more quickly/sanely navigate this stuff. Think for a lot of things it may be a fair bit quicker just to re-post the CAM from fusion rather than try to navigate from the control...

Lee

...after thinking more about your great topic of how to deal with mid start points. I did some testing. 1st memory storage is to small to store complete program....So, I stored just the first part of program with all startup information for Tool,etc and added/edited a Line with M00 ...then ran the stored program....then switched to RS232C from Catalog....then Mode select Single Block before starting transfer from PC, which was setup to transfer from the Line number of choice to restart cutting operation...of coarse need to add/edit a M3 M8 to the Program file at the beginning. Things seem to work ok Dripfeeding after that testing.... There may be better ways to handle broken tool restart....

DJ

Tested on a Delta50M

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...after thinking more about your great topic of how to deal with mid start points. I did some testing. 1st memory storage is to small to store complete program....So, I stored just the first part of program with all startup information for Tool,etc and added/edited a Line with M00 ...then ran the stored program....then switched to RS232C from Catalog....then Mode select Single Block before starting transfer from PC, which was setup to transfer from the Line number of choice to restart cutting operation...of coarse need to add/edit a M3 M8 to the Program file at the beginning. Things seem to work ok Dripfeeding after that testing.... There may be better ways to handle broken tool restart....

DJ

Tested on a Delta50M
    This is awesome
    Thank you so much!

Lee