586,287 active members*
4,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinnati Arrow 1250C Convert from linear scale to servo motor encoder

Cincinnati Arrow 1250C Convert from linear scale to servo motor encoder

I have an Arrow 1250C, S/N: 7064A00-99-0044; A2100 Control. The Y-axis linear glass scale is broken.
    Does anyone know the complete procedure to change to the servo motor encoder? It has servo star drives.
    My concern is that there is no overtravel switch, I assume it uses the glass scale instead. Would I need to add an overtravel switch when using the servo motor encoder?

Re: Cincinnati Arrow 1250C Convert from linear scale to servo motor encoder

Is the glass in the scale actually broken, or just NOT working? Heidenhain dealers may be able to test and repair or you need
    to purchase a new one. Bill Oehler at Fives-Cincinnati, Hebron, KY (8595344750) can help you to properly reset the alignment, once you get a scale working.
    My opinion is that it would cost you more TIME and MONEY to manufacture the proper trip dogs and install Alignment and Overtravel switch and wiring then
    to simply fix / replace the scale.

Hi Davekensco,

You should be able to easily get used scales to replace your broken one. I do not recommend switching to encoder feedback as there are no reference switches in machines where scales are installed.

I have recently removed the scales from my machine (I have an Arrow2 500). What is your Y travel? I could give it to you at a throw away price if the travels match (these are just sitting in stock for me with no purpose currently) However, I am located in India and this would possibly not make logistic sense to you. I suggest checking on ebay as there are many good sellers in USA holding stock.

Best regards

Jaideep

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I was able to convert to the motor encoder with the help of the Siemens helpline. The machine does have a home switch and I was able to align it.
    I could install an overtravel switch if needed from a parts machine I have.