586,512 active members*
3,548 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Another Newbie begins!

Hello All, this is my first cnc project. It’s a work in progress, when completed it will be a 4 axis machine with a plasma/router head. I’m running a stepmasternc board in a 1.8 Ghz Win Xp with mach 3, Bobcad and eCabinets. 500 in/oz steppers with a porter cable 3.25 hp. The table has 3 inserts, vacuum, coolant collector tank and a plasma cutting deck. I’m a month into it hoping to complete before Christmas but its this lack of time and cash thing. . . .I’m sure I’m the only one All of the parts are off ebay, I have to buy the drive line next and so far I’m just under $2k.
    Thanks for all of your posts, I look forward to a different point of view on my machine. Be kind I don’t have a clue what I’m doing!
    fficeffice" />>>
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc1.jpg   cnc2.jpg  
    Its all B.S. untill its built!

Smile

Welcome to the CNCZone, from the looks of your design you have been learking for a while, or you are just talented.
    Looks like a real good start. Fully supported X and Y axis is the way to go. And a good distance between the bearings to give it a wide and solid stance.
    I envy you metal workers, able to build so solid and ridgid frameworks.

Good Luck and Keep the pictures coming.

Tim.

You will find that it will need driving from both side of the X axis. Maybe for plasma you'll get away with it but as a router you won't.

A lot of builders try it but it needs either a very rigid or very slow machine.

Say for instance when you get to do someting like a 3D carving and a small cutter is rapidly going back and forth just a few mm's you'll see that it just won't work.

So save yourself some trouble and drive it from both sides from the start.

You have made a good start, keep it up and post lots of pics.

Greg

Sounds like a plan, I'll order double screws. This machine will be abused.

Thanks for your input.

Half dressed

Almost got it done when the neighbours had a bbq..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails halfDressedWeb.jpg  

Love the colors - Keyed to the axis --- Great looking machine. Welcome aboard and best of luck.
    :cheers: Jim

BTW - I'd add (for me more than any one else) It's all B.S. -- Until you mill something
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Never enough time

Here's what I have now. Still test fitting z axis but getting closer. Motor mount is next. Still trying different numbers to get "Tas" to cut from 100ipm to 350 ipm in whatever project is up.

More to come. . .

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails halffinnishedz1.jpg   halffinnishedz2.jpg  

Just wondering how much flex you will see in that plate the router clamps are attached to. I've see a lot of designs where the router hangs down from a plate like that.

I did it the oposit way where the router hangs off the other side and the plate where your router plate is would be on the gantry. Course this means the servos and stuff ride up and down with the router how ever in my mind made it so you didn't have to have a long plate to hang the router down off of to get table clearence when retracted.

Very nice looking machine. . You using regular paint or some sort of powder coating?

b/

I agree, it will flex. It will be beefed up in a bit. For now it will be good enough to get it going. As for paint, its Krylon that was on sale, $1 a can.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeCnc View Post
    Here's what I have now. Still test fitting z axis but getting closer. Motor mount is next. Still trying different numbers to get "Tas" to cut from 100ipm to 350 ipm in whatever project is up.

More to come. . .

Tim
    I like it , I like it , I like it!!!
    You are going to start a new trend with your paint scheme!!!

A little more time spent on Tas. This is going to be my 4th axis, I'll replace the belt with a timing belt/ stepper combo. Should work.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4thaxisideaweb.jpg   Sorfarweb.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeCnc View Post
    A little more time spent on Tas. This is going to be my 4th axis, I'll replace the belt with a timing belt/ stepper combo. Should work.

Tim
    who the manufacture of your linear slides and bearing on x and y
    you say off ebay who makes them? what the od on the rod?
    are you going to rack and pinion on your long x axis

Hello All,
    Got a little bit closer, still have to make the motor mounts for the gantry. The screws will show up in 10 days (5/8 8tpi acme). Still debating gears, Mcmaster-carr timing belt set or I’m playing with the idea of using a 10 speed bike gear set up for driving the screws. Vary the gantry speed on the fly. Just a thought. . . . .Wire will be picked up this week, computer is up and talking to the board. Still have to finish up the cyclone dust collector system too. I’m also in the works on starting a 5x10 Mechmate, looking at getting the parts laser cut. On Tas, bearings are from VXB Ball Bearings, great service and product. Screws are coming from a local shop. As for the rest I picked up 2 5” platters to make a 2 axis head for this too but that’s in a bit.

Until next time,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motormountswebjpg.jpg  

Smile Cyclones are Super Health Protectors

A cyclone dust collector system is for sure the way to go it really stops the fine dust, which is the bad stuff for our lungs.

If you are building one on Bill P's plans here is a site of a Canadian in Japan that built one, very detailed assembly photos and a lot of good tips.
    http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/cyclone.htm

He has a lot of other interesting projects in his web site also.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Thanks for the link, pictures are always a good thing.

Tim

Tim,

Where did you get the screws (5/8 8tpi acme, part number?)? I also live in Canada and I need some for may CNC.

THanks,
    Alex

Sorry for the late reply Alex. I did a local search for Machine shop supplies and found a bulk acme screw place. Sold by the foot. For my next machines www.mechmate.com I'm going with rack and pinion, easier in my limited opinion but to each their own.

Tim

So Far.....Never enough time. Big question of the day: Is it worth the time to put fanned or regular heatsinks on the steppers? Making more room in the shop to do the cyclone other than that waiting on the driveline components to show up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nov26web.jpg   heatsinksWeb.jpg  

Hello All,
    I’m waiting for the drive line to show up, 2 weeks to go. So in the meantime I tripped over a 2axis head upped by yohudi. The motors came today, I’ll go get some angle out of the scrap yard and the experiment continues. It will mount on my z axis without any trouble. I’m just wondering how big of a router will this combo take? Anyone have one working yet? I was thinking of a 2hp Rona router, they go for $100 and have a no hassle 3 year replacement. Another Idea was to use the table as a 4th axis in the bed. I have the expansion board on order so it will do up to 6 axis. The wiring harness will also be installed during that time and I’m going to have to learn that Mach 3. Its at the “Just get it running” stage, Lots to improve on but it will cut out the next machines parts easily.

Thanks for all the ideas,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2axisbackWeb.jpg   2axisfrontWeb.jpg   2axisTopWeb.jpg   NewtoysWeb.jpg  

Hi if you need info for the cyclone I think this is one of the best site that I ever came across http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/blower.cfm I made one for my wood shop and it works like a charm the filters are 0.3-micron certified dust collection cartridge filters

Page 1 of 2 12