586,094 active members*
3,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > recently acquired a Hermes/gravograph xp7000 without any drives/motion control pls hl

Question recently acquired a Hermes/gravograph xp7000 without any drives/motion control pls hl

Hello, I got incredibly lucky and recently acquired a Hermes/gravograph xp7000 engraving/routing machine FOR FREE. Unfortunately, however it did not include any of the motion control/power supplies/servo drives/VFD. I am having a "fun" time attempting to find any servo motor specs/any information or help with realizing what exactly I need to buy to get this machine up and running.

I am working with a limited budget but want to be able to utilize as much as I can of what this machine has to offer.

I'm hoping someone more experienced and knowledgeable than I am can suggest some quality components to operate this machine that don't cost anarm and a leg as I rather enjoy using all the limbs I currently possess. The machine has the following components:

The x,y, and z axes are running sanyo denki "super v" dc servo motors(model number V511-019EL8) and say they're 48Vdc, 3.2A, 110w, WDG. F, 3800RPM, 2005 on their labels.

The spindle is a dunkermotoren (madein Germany) type GR63X55, runs on 60V @ 2A/13A and 3350 RPM then there's a box that isn't the serial number that says 04 4 4115279 and another
    box says (I think the date?) 14/04.

This machine is built hella robustly and weighs over 600lbs!

I'm hoping to be able to utilize something along the lines of a raspberry pi or arduino or something of that nature to keep the costs down. If I can get this machine up and running well enough to make a little money running it then my eventual goal would be to buy all the components that would have been included with the machine when it was new from the factory but I'll cross that bridge when it is in front of me.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may end up providing and have a great day!

-Mike Wallace.

Re: recently acquired a Hermes/gravograph xp7000 without any drives/motion control pl

"Limited Budget"

Well, then it's easy. To get the machine moving, Swap your Servo Motors out for Stepper motors (270oz seems plenty big at about $25 each), Buy some cheap Step motor drivers Like DM556's (also $25 each), Buy a 48V DC variable power supply for the drives (about $40) and use an Arduino loaded with GRBL (Nano is under $10 and GRBL is Free). Might need to steal your Cell phones 5v supply to power the Arduino.

So your under $200 and the machine will actually be quite formidable for engraving and light routing work (I wonder what spindle you have... top loading or collet / Tooling Diameter ?)

Add another variable 48v DC supply and spin up that DC Spindle Motor ($40). Add a few TTL level 5v relays ($4 each) triggered by the Arduino to turn the spindle on and off automatically.

All for under $250.

Sure, you can get the Servos to run, and you can find plenty of other controls to get operational. It's just going to cost you substantially more money. By the sound of things currently, the above may be the better plan simply because you kind of indicate not knowing what you can do to get it running.

And, be grateful you do not have the proprietary New Hermes Control anyhow. It's not nearly as exciting as having any one of the handfuls of hobby level controls currently available.
    Chris L

Re: recently acquired a Hermes/gravograph xp7000 without any drives/motion control pl

Thank you for your time and assistance, I truly appreciate your response. Please forgive me if any of what I am about to ask sounds dumb as I am entirely new to this.

Would I be asking too much of this machine to hope to be able to do some light milling of aluminum and/or perhaps some mild steel if I set it to take off material in light layers and purchase the right end mills for the material? Or do I need to stick with plastic and wood only?

The spindle it came with is a dunkermotoren type gr63x55 and I believe it is a top loading type. Would it make sense to install a woodworking router on this machine?

I received a few tackle boxes with the machine that contained a dozen or so different long bits for the top loading tool holder but there is also various collets of different sizes that I am assuming are not compatible with the system currently installed.

If I have around like $500-800 I can throw at this project where would the extra money be best spent to gain the most functionality?

Also, what would I be giving up by swapping out the servo motors for steppers? And if I do this should I pair them with closed loop stepper drives?

Thanks again for any assistance you may provide.

Hi Mike

I am going through this with an old Gravograph VX I acquired for the same price as your XP 7000.

The VX already had stepper motors, so I pulled out the old electronics and added Arduino parts. Turned out to be a tight squeeze getting everything in and, for now, I only have manual control of the spindle speed.

Like you, I have the top loading spindle and want to change it for a collet spindle. I have been told it can handle aluminium etc, even if a bit slow.

If your machine is like the one in the link below, I believe light milling will be fine, go slow, I guess.

I think I have spent a few hundred Australian dollars (I try not to count them for this sort of thing), so I beleive yyour budget should be fine.

Good luck

Philip

Link https://graviranje.rs/Engraving_PORT...h_IS7000XP.htm

Hi,
    servos eat steppers for breakfast., The reason is speed.

All steppers lose torque the faster they go, its the physics of how they work. You would eat seriously into your budget if you want to get steppers and high voltage drivers than can deliver
    useful torque at 1000rpm. Servos on the other have have a certain torque (less, often well less, than stepper (at low speed) it must be said), but they retain that torque right up to
    3000rpm or more. So steppers actually are better at low speeds, but at high speeds they cant hold a candle to servos.

It is highly probable that if your machine was made for servos that the ballscrews are designed and chosen to get the most from servos, may be fine pitched for instance. If you were to fit
    steppers then it may be that the same ballscrews look a but off, you might ideally have courser pitched screws. It does very much depend on what you have already. If its reasonable to reuse
    then all to the good.

Show us a bunch of pictures of what gear you actually have.....and then asses it and allow that assessment to govern your choices.

Craig

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
    servos eat steppers for breakfast., The reason is speed.

All steppers lose torque the faster they go, its the physics of how they work. You would eat seriously into your budget if you want to get steppers and high voltage drivers than can deliver
    useful torque at 1000rpm. Servos on the other have have a certain torque (less, often well less, than stepper (at low speed) it must be said), but they retain that torque right up to
    3000rpm or more. So steppers actually are better at low speeds, but at high speeds they cant hold a candle to servos.

It is highly probable that if your machine was made for servos that the ballscrews are designed and chosen to get the most from servos, may be fine pitched for instance. If you were to fit
    steppers then it may be that the same ballscrews look a but off, you might ideally have courser pitched screws. It does very much depend on what you have already. If its reasonable to reuse
    then all to the good.

Show us a bunch of pictures of what gear you actually have.....and then asses it and allow that assessment to govern your choices.

Craig