586,075 active members*
4,095 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Acoustic guitar - Build #2

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Cannot emphasize this enough. Treat that top like it's a newborn baby or maybe a mirror for the JWST. Keep dust off it and be VERY careful what you sit it on while working on the back side.

I use "router mats" (and make sure they're totally clean!) underneath it, even when setting it on the hollow form. Never had an issue with dents.

https://www.rockler.com/non-slip-router-mat
    Good points, for sure! I actually thought I was keeping it clean but clearly I did not. I have some of the router mat material so I might begin using that. Thanks!
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

I'm finally back out in the shop after a two-month absence due to prostate surgery. Light duty work only but I'll take it!

Cut, fitted, and glued the Bubinga soundhole bracing -
    Attachment 503700
    David

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    I took the opportunity to use the CNC for a small piece on the guitar, cutting the neck block extension to support the fingerboard and also cutting the neck block itself after it was already glued to the rim (guitar sides). There was a bit of risk in doing this because I only had one shot at getting the neck block right or I would've had to do some serious recovery to fix any mistakes.
    Attachment 499072

Curious to see more details on what you're doing with the headblock there? Does it make the neck adjustable? I've been making mine with a cantilevered fretboard so they can mount on an (adjustable) tripod.

You can see some of it here IIRC:

https://ahsbandguitar.blogspot.com

The Modern Luthier - YouTube

Curious to see more details on what you're doing with the headblock there? Does it make the neck adjustable? I've been making mine with a cantilevered fretboard so they can mount on an (adjustable) tripod.

You can see some of it here IIRC:

https://ahsbandguitar.blogspot.com

The Modern Luthier - YouTube
    Great looking guitar! Looks like you fashioned yours after McPherson. How's it sound?

The neck on mine is fully bolt-on as is the fingerboard extension. Yes, the neck is adjustable via truss rod. I want to try a cantilevered fretboard at some point. Did you copy McPherson or design your own?

You can see a little bit of the support in this video -

Edit - Noticed your raffle is for AHS; the school I went to is AHS only it's Airline HS
    David

Great looking guitar! Looks like you fashioned yours after McPherson. How's it sound?

The neck on mine is fully bolt-on as is the fingerboard extension. Yes, the neck is adjustable via truss rod. I want to try a cantilevered fretboard at some point. Did you copy McPherson or design your own?

You can see a little bit of the support in this video -

Edit - Noticed your raffle is for AHS; the school I went to is AHS only it's Airline HS
    No, my inspiration came from several luthiers with articulated necks as documented in a GAL article. And then a lot of borrowing from Todd Rose on this guitar

https://www.facebook.com/ToddRoseGui...PQovYr9EmQKcwl

He also has an entire thread on it in acousticguitarforum.com, but I can't seem remember my login there and the site isn't very recovery friendly, so I don't have time to mess with it right now.

The big difference I made is that I'm now using an off the shelf (fixed) carbon fiber truss rod from Gemini Instruments that's a lot easier to get in place (well with a CNC) than Todds original CF wrapped dowel (which was also made by Gemini).

https://www.geminimusical.com/carbon...-neck-beam.asp

There are a couple videos on installation on my "personal" channel (I need to move those over to the Luthier channel):

https://youtu.be/kU6kbGhqSE0

https://youtu.be/LPfOehFETeA

Lastly, don't know if you've seen but I have a thread somewhere in this forum that details an entire build process.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/music...-software.html

Finally had an opportunity to watch these two videos - good stuff! I have yet to draw a neck profile in Fusion but plan to soon. How much heavier is the D tube than a regular truss rod?

Oh, a good tip for you is to switch from wax paper to parchment paper. Wax paper will stick to glues so I switched to parchment paper about 10 years ago and I'm still using some of the pieces I started with way back then. Yellow glue, if allowed to dry, will just flex right off leaving a clean piece of the parchment paper. If you try to wipe it off while the glue is wet then it's likely that piece of parchment paper will end up in the trash.

I'll check out your full build thread soon - thanks!
    David

Finally had an opportunity to watch these two videos - good stuff! I have yet to draw a neck profile in Fusion but plan to soon. How much heavier is the D tube than a regular truss rod?
    It is super lightweight compared to a truss road. and since it's hollow and takes up a large volume, the neck ends up being much lighter as well. Side effect is a cool "musical" characteristic you can hear if you run you hand along the length of the neck. Of course, it's not adjustable, it just keeps the neck dead straight, so no adjustment needed.

It is super lightweight compared to a truss road. and since it's hollow and takes up a large volume, the neck ends up being much lighter as well. Side effect is a cool "musical" characteristic you can hear if you run you hand along the length of the neck. Of course, it's not adjustable, it just keeps the neck dead straight, so no adjustment needed.
    I watched more videos about the D-tube and read more of your build in the thread referenced above. I may just have to give the D-tube a shot in my next build - thanks to your build and testimony!
    David

Page 2 of 2 12