586,108 active members*
3,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 13 12311

Smile Sophomore Build - Starting the Joe CNC

Hey everyone,

My friend, Tyler, and I are starting to gather materials and resources to build a Joe CNC. My school has a CNC so I should be able to cut out all of the parts using it.

They use MasterCam software, and I have all the parts CADed in .dwg format (Thanks to Joe!), but how do I convert them to tool paths (g-code) set the depth, and find what bit to use??

And can the bit be set so it cuts to the outside of the line.....because if I use a 1/4" bit and it cuts on the line.....wouldn't the part be 1/8" (the radius) shorter on all edges??

I am assuming that the bit cuts to the outside of the line...and that this is preprogrammed.

Just wondering if someone could clear that up for me and help me with the software aspect.

A good Cam program should do that for you. I would think MasterCam can do it, but I can't tell you how. Never seen MasterCam. There is a MasterCam forum here though.

So I am waiting for approval from my teacher to start to cut out the CNC.......I'm hoping he does in fact approve, he must be thinking "these kids are planning on building a CNC machine, they must be insane!"

After asking around I am comfortable on all the software aspects, and hope that all the parts will be cut out 2 weeks (being optimistic, it will most likely be 3 but lets shoot for 2) after approval. Seeing that we (Tyler, my group member, friend, and fellow CNCer..and I) are limited to one Marking Period to build a working CNC, time and accuracy are vital. We plan to first cut out the X-axis Torsion Box....and while one of us continues to cut out parts, the other will work on assembly.

So until approval of the project, I can only cross my fingers. Between now and then we will be gathering supplies (yay capital!.....looks like I'll be getting a job) But hopefully I will be able to get some pictures of the start of the build process up here in no time.

I CAN'T WAIT TO START THE JOE!

Work has begun!

X Axis Torsion Box Pipe Supports

Our build of the Joe CNC Model 2006 has begun after months of research, multiple failures of other CNC machines, and gathering of resources.

After the project was approved by the teacher, plans were made showing an actual picture of each part, a CAD picture with dimensions, and a picture of that part in the total build of the machine.

The first step was to cut the 4' x 8' sheets of MDF into 30" x 35" blanks that will fit on the school's CNC machine.

Next CAD files were uploaded to school computers. Using Mastercam, parts were laid out on blanks to provide the most efficiency. Toolpaths were generated. NC file was Posted.

Then we had to wait for our bit to arrive:
    Brand: Antrax (from Use-Enco.com)
    Type: Square-End End Mill
    Diameter: 1/4"
    Shank Diameter: 1/4"
    Length: 2-3/4"
    Cut Length: 3/4"
    Material: Carbide
    Coating: Titanium Nitride

The collet on the router was changed to a 1/4" collet and then the bit was chucked in. After some initial tests the cutting began. We decided to cut the X Axis Torsion Box first. First we cut out the X Axis Torsion Box Pipe Supports.

(4) X Axis Torsion Box Pipe Supports were cut out the first day of cutting. The bit failed to completely cut through the blank, most likely due to improper Zeroing of the Z, or a warp in the sacrificial board. The depth of cut was 1/2", the speed was 50 IPM, and the router was set to 21,000 RPM. The machine made an extremely high pitched sound. The parts were cut out, but rough edges had to be filed and lightly sanded (not on critical parts of the piece, just the inside contours).

(1) X Axis Torsion Box Pipe Support was cut out the second day of cutting. Cut depth was decreased to .18" with 3 passes and the RPM was decreased to 16,000. This allowed for faster cut speeds...80+ IPM.

(3) X Axis Torsion Box Pipe Supports were cut the third day of cutting. The bit went entirely through the blank resulting in clean cut parts. Using a shop-vac, dust particles were removed from the channels which allowed for a more quiet cut.

All of the X Axis Torsion Box Pipe Supports were completed. Tomorrow X Axis Long Run Braces will be cut. Then CNC End Support Pieces will be cut. I am hoping all parts for the X Axis Torsion Box will be completed by the end of the week.

(Student shown in photo is Tyler. He is my partner for this project)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000419.JPG   P1000420.JPG   P1000421.JPG   P1000422.JPG  

P1000525.JPG   P1010559.JPG   P1010560.JPG   P1010561.JPG  

P1010562.JPG   P1010564.JPG   P1010565.JPG   P1010566.JPG  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

Looking very good guys, you are very well organized and know exactly what you want to accomplish, A fine example of students taking charge and not just getting by in school.

For the areas that did not cut all the way through, you can use a trim router with a flush bit to go around the edge, will be allot faster than a knife. Thats how i remove all my tabs.

Can you e-mail me your plans (your binder looks good) I would love to take a look at them, and maybe i can post in the yahoo files to help others out also.

So what does your teacher think of your little project?

Joe

The plans have currently only been created for the X Axis Torsion Box. I will finish the plans and have them to you sometime tomorrow night, they should be quite helpful for all who wish to use them.

And the trim router with flush bit! is an excellent idea! As of our cut today, we no longer have the problem of excess material on the edges of parts, but maybe we just got lucky... Should the problem arise again, this will definitely be our course of action.

Our teacher seems to be interested in our grand "little project", however, as of now he is just sitting back and letting us do the project. Every now and then he will shoot us some advice, but other than that he doesn't say much. Whether this is because he doubts our project will be completed, he doubts it will work when completed, or some other reason... I do not know.

But everything is going as planned as of now, and we are meeting all of our goals and self-set deadlines. I will definitely send you the plans as soon as I finish them up.

Looking good Spencer and Tyler. I am bettting your teacher is proud. you guys pick a great project . Take your time make sure you keep everything square, and you will have a great machinne to fight over Have you picked out your motors and controller ?

Another thing I was born to late for. first was Big Wheel. Dang how much fun are those things and CNC when I was in school O'well I will just have to be happy I have it in my Mid life crisis range ( can't afford Porche) .

Keep up the good work you have lots of fun and learning ahead

Kent

Thanks Kent,

If everyone didn't all ready know, I'm Tyler, Spencer's partner in crime in this crazy hobby of building CNC machines.

Believe it or not, its been over a year since we first started designing and building our first machine, so a year later, we're three test machines down and plenty of parts UP. I have a 3 axis Hobby CNC driver with power supply and 304 oz./in. Keling steppers. I also have 1/2" - 10 ACME single start Dumpster leadnuts that will be used on our Joe. I also have acme threaded rod as well as 1/2" and 3/4" drill rod, however, the drill rod is only long enough for the gantry and the Z, and we will most likely need to purchase more ACME rod and gas pipe for the X axis.

X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Braces

Today we started to cut out the X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Supports.

Preperation: First we ripped a piece of MDF to a blank that would fit two of the supports on it. We then cross cut it to the desired length on the radial arm saw. The blank was then placed on the CNC table and placed against a fence in the sacraficial board. This fence was made by lowering the bit into the sacraficial board and then moving the bit along the X and Y, allowing for a channel that was 1/4" wide and that was parallel with the movement of the router on the X and Y. We then cut 1/4" pieces of wood to fit into the channel to make the fence. The blank was then attached to the sacrificial board using screws.

Geometry: Using the CAD provided by Joe, I combined the X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Brace (1) with the X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Brace (2) creating one long part. I then split the geometry at the half point. The geometry was then divided into two files. The first file places the part that will be cut first 1" from the bottom of the blank. The second file places the second part that will be cut directly on the X-axis (our shorter axis that runs across the table..we did call it the Y until our teacher told us it was the X). This would allow us to align our pieces to the fence, zero the machine on the bottom left hand corner of the blank, cut the first part, mark a line at the end of the first cut, slide the blank down until the mark lines up with the origin, make the second cut.

We cut out the first part, but now we are not quite sure how to cut out the second part. Should I just draw a line at the end of the first cut (Look at picture) and then line that up with the origin? Or should I draw a line at the end of the first cut, measure down 1/8" to account for the radius of the bit, and then line that up with the origin? Or should I use a different method?

I just don't want the part to be too short....It can't be too long, because if it is there will be a gap of mdf between the two halfs and I will know. But if the tool paths run into eachother, then it could shorten the part.. Ideas?

Picture 1: Layout of Blank on sheet of MDF
    Picture 2: Cross cutting MDF Blank to length
    Picture 3: Blank placed on CNC table
    Picture 4: Fence Channel
    Picture 5: Fence Channel (2)
    Picture 6: Fence Channel (3)
    Picture 7: Cut Begins
    Picture 8: Inside contours being cut
    Picture 9: Inside contours being cut (2)
    Picture 10: Outside contours being cut
    Picture 11: Outside contours being cut (2)
    Picture 12: Origin
    Picture 13: Finished cut
    Picture 14: Finished cut (2)
    Picture 15: First half cut
    Pitcure 16: Line drawn at end of cut
    Picture 17: Geometry Split
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16.jpg   17.jpg   20.jpg   37.jpg  

38.jpg   39.jpg   23.jpg   25.jpg  

26.jpg   28.jpg   30.jpg   33.jpg  

36.jpg   35.jpg   42.jpg   41.jpg  

Geometry Split.jpg  

Draw a line at the end of the first part and align that with the origin for the second program. The toolpaths are relative to the center point of the bit such that the center of the bit is in line with mark at the end of the first program and the center of the bit is at the line when it's moved to the origin for the second program. No need to compensate for the diameter of the bit.

Excellent! I will put it to the test tomorrow morning! You really don't get much sleep when CNCing...its too much fun!

that it is, keep it a hobby though not a career, you will lose the interest of "fun" once you start doing it 12 hours a day day in and day out lol

I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this build. keep us updated!

Very nice work, guys!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am very impressed at your ability and motivation.

Please keep us informed, Tyler and Spencer!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    that it is, keep it a hobby though not a career, you will lose the interest of "fun" once you start doing it 12 hours a day day in and day out lol
    Unless you get to make cool stuff all the time.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Braces (2)

Today the second cut was made for the X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Braces. We already made the first cut so we just needed to reposition the blank and make the second cut.

Preperation: First we marked the line at the end of the first cut. They blank was then unscrewed from the sacrificial board so it could be repositioned. We lined up the mark from the end of the first cut with the origin and attached the blank to the board using screws.

Geometry: We opened the file that contained the CAD for the second part. I positioned the part (in MasterCam) so that it lined up with the first cut in terms of the X-Axis (Side to Side). The bottom of the second cut was placed directly on top of the X-Axis so that the machine would start cutting at (0,Y). We added toolpaths, preprocessed the file, and opened it in the Techno software.

Cutting: The cut went smoothly with less noise than usually. I bought 4 pairs of ear plugs which definitely made the cut more enjoyable for Tyler and I. The cut took around 15 minutes (most) at 60 IPM the first pass and 120 IPM for the second and third pass.

When the parts were finished cutting I lightly sanded the edges to clean up the parts. I then measured the center contour in the parts, and realized it was an 1/8" longer than the other contours:

Problem: When we had lined up the mark at the end of the first cut we didn't account for the radius of the end mill, which I had originally felt that we should have done. This resulted in the addition of the 1/8" to the part, making them an 1/8" too long. However, if all 4 of the X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Braces are 1/8" too big it wouldn't be a problem at all. Now the question is, should I re-cut the first (2) Long Run Braces, or should I cut the second (2) Long Run Braces with the extra 1/8" making the parts all equal?

After that we assembled the parts we had cut out so far: (8) Torsion Box Pipe Supports and (2) Long Run Braces. It looked really good! and the fit was perfect!

Any suggestions/ideas? Advice on whether to go with the 1/8" longer braces are cut out new ones? The total to cut out 2 long run braces is about 30 minutes...not too long.

Picture 1: Line drawn at end of first cut.
    Picture 2: Visual of where the second cut will be before the part is moved.
    Picture 3: Location of part during first cut.
    Picture 4: Line extended on side of blank.
    Picture 5: Mounting/Positioning of blank.
    Picture 6: Position of blank.
    Picture 7: Mark at end of first cut lined up with the origin.
    Picture 8: Mark at end of first cut lined up with the origin (2).
    Picture 9: CAD file being uploaded into software.
    Picture 10: Completed X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Brace.
    Picture 11: Completed X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Brace (2).
    Picture 12: Assembled Parts.
    Picture 13: Assembled Parts (2).
    Picture 14: Assembled Parts (3).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010971.JPG   P1010972.JPG   P1010974.JPG   P1010975.JPG  

P1010985.JPG   P1010988.JPG   P1010989.JPG   P1010990.JPG  

P1010991.JPG   P1010993.JPG   P1010994.JPG   P1020011.JPG  

P1020012.JPG   P1020015.JPG  

X Axis Torsion Box Long Run Brace

Like stated above, I believe the part has an added 1/8" to the center interior contour because the radius of the bit was not accounted for when repositioning of blank. Maybe that contour is just 1/8" wider??....I doubt it.

Here is a picture showing what the problem is:

I guess I will just recut both of the parts? Any opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem.jpg  

I would cut the last two 1/8" longer also, this will not make a difference on the machine.

Glad to see everyone wearing safety goggles.

Page 1 of 13 12311