586,096 active members*
3,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 13 210111213

Oops

Oops! My apologies to the moderators and HobbyCNC. I did not realize that was copyright material!

Bruce (chair)

It's been far too long without an update on the Zone for our Sophomore Build. So heres a quick update. We now have a complete controller/power supply with motors that is plug-and-play from Keling. We took the easy (but more expensive) way out on that one. As we figured the investment would pay off because we wouldn't have to worry as much about frying a chip.

So we have everything in terms of electronics. The controller is currently at Tyler's house.

As for the machine itself. All the leadscrews and motor mounts are mounted except for the X Axis. As soon as I finish the X, all that should be left to do is plug the motors in....and we should have 3 working Axes.

We are trying to get the motors mounted and the machine running by the end of this weekend, but with sports and school, the CNC has been hard to work on lately.

I will keep you all posted. Sorry if we've been off the radar for a while.

CNC Board Offer

Hey,
    Since you wanted to build two machines anyways... it sounds like you will also have two controllers.

If you still want to fix that HobbyCNC board and don't have the resources for soldering/desoldering, I'll replace the bad chips and test the board for you if you send it to me (then I'll send it back). I'm an EE and work around soldering equipment all day.

PM me if you're interrested. - Your project has really caught the attention of the whole group here, and we all want to see you succeed.

Regards,

Bruce

You guys doing this was the reason that I decided to take the plunge. Have been following your build the whole way, even though this is the first time posting in here.

Spencer and Tyler,
    How is your machine?

I was thinking the same thing...wondering how it was going. I miss the update from youse guys!

Skip
    www.ShopFileR.com

hey guys,

To be honest spencer and I haven't worked on the machine in a while. A month or two ago i ponied up and bought this keling driver:
    http://kelinginc.net/ControlSystem.html

It came with no instructions on wiring, howevever. Also, I received Keling's new, blue controller, as opposed to the old white controller - but at the time of ordering, this controller was not available on the website - he notified me that it would be a different controller as they were back ordered on the normal white controller box.

Anyway, hopefully this weekend I can take a shot at getting the controller spinning some motors, then we will truly be in the home stretch of this project. First, however, we will still need to extend our motors and figure out the wiring for this controller. While it says it's "plug and play", there is no way for me to plug it in until the motors are wired to the plugs and that won't happen until I receive some sort of instructions.

We'll try to keep everyone updated.

- Tyler

Good news! I was able to get the correct male/male parallel cable to Tyler today and he was able to get the motors up and running tonight. So we have 3 working motors.

The only things left to do are as follows:
    - Extend the motors
    - Tune the motors
    - Mount the motors

- Mount the X-Axis Leadscrew
    - Mount the Router

Of course there will be a lot more steps involved, but this is just the general outline of what must be done. There of course will be tweaks that will have to be made, but hopefully we can get it up and running this weekend.

In advance, I would like to sincerely thank everyone here on the Zone, you've been a great help. The support has been tremendous and its really motivated us and encouraged us a long the way. When we didn't know the answer, you guys were there to help us get through whatever the problem was. I hope everyone enjoyed staying tuned to our progress and I apolegize for the sudden and long period without activity when we were so close to finishing. But hopefully, this weekend all of your help and our hard work will pay off. We will keep you updated.

You forgot one thing on your list below, the most important thing, the reason for building this machine. Make a note and add to your list:

- Explode with creative genius and cut designs, build stuff and have fun!

All us guys have missed your daily activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbthomas13 View Post

The only things left to do are as follows:
    - Extend the motors
    - Tune the motors
    - Mount the motors

- Mount the X-Axis Leadscrew
    - Mount the Router

Updates

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've updated but Tyler and I have both been busy.

But finally, now that my harder class are finished and lacrosse season is over, we have been able to work on the machine again. So with our new Keling Inc controller w/ keling motors we were good to go. We ran into a problem when we found out that the X leadscrew was too short, but we ordered a new screw and installed it this weekend. We also mounted the motors for the Z axis and the X axis.

Both the Z axis and the X axis are now turning and with the router hooked up we were able to mill out two parallel channels in a piece of scrap wood. We measured just to make sure, and they were indeed parallel. We also moved the machine 1" in Mach and then measured the cut from center to center of each radius and it was 1" exactly, so they are tuned correctly too. However there is one small problem, the motors move the opposite direction...so when it says -1.00 in Mach for the Z axis it actually went up 1" not down 1". How do I reverse this in Mach 3 to correct the problem? And also how to I do the same for the Emergency On/Off button, because that is reversed too as you have to twist and pull on it in order to shut the machine off (as opposed to just hitting it).

We would have hooked up the Y axis motor (and had a completed machine!!!!) but we ran into a problem. We drilled the holes for the motor support walls incorrectly so now the motor alignment is off. While it is in the correct plane, it is shifted over and up a little bit. So its not that the motor tilts, its just horizontally and laterally off. So we have a couple options....1) drill/mount the motor directly to the Gantry Side Support (which results in a loss of travel for the Y axis.. this would only be a temporary fix though), 2) make new sidewalls out of MDF or some other material, basically just redo them 3) we could try some modification to the one we already have, however, that would be extremely sketchy and probably wouldn't work too well.

Other than that the machine is almost done!!! And I already have some projects/orders from some people. My brother wants me to cut out his rugby team's logo to inlay in his beer pong table at his college...which would be a pretty intricate cut, but it would look awesome. That will definitely be one of my first projects.

Also, we are missing half of a lovejoy spider coupling...which we must find for the Y Axis to work. And there is also a lot of whip (not sure what the term is) in the X axis leadscrew, but thats a relatively easy fix...I'll just do what some of the other guys have done with the spring.

So to finish we need:
    1) To find the coupling
    2) To fix the motor alignment issue
    3) Take out the whip in the X
    4) Reverse the settings for each axis and the on/off
    5) New paint job?

I'll keep you updated and get some videos up here soon.

So in order to complete the machien w

Quote Originally Posted by Sbthomas13 View Post
    However there is one small problem, the motors move the opposite direction...so when it says -1.00 in Mach for the Z axis it actually went up 1" not down 1". How do I reverse this in Mach 3 to correct the problem? And also how to I do the same for the Emergency On/Off button, because that is reversed too as you have to twist and pull on it in order to shut the machine off (as opposed to just hitting it).

4) Reverse the settings for each axis and the on/off

In Mach go to Config tab open the Homing/Limits tab and reverse is on the left.

Rick

During final assembly of my Joe 4X4, my Y was moving in the opposite direction. I reversed it's direction in Mach3 by going into Config --> Ports and Pins --> Motor Outputs and then checking Dir LowActive.

PS, I hope that lacrosse season was successful!

THE CHIPS ARE FLYING!!!

After months of research, gathering materials, building, and hard work our Sophomore Build of Joe's CNC Model 2006 is finally completed. I started to work on the machine again a couple of days ago and was able to get the Y working. After that Tyler and I worked together to fabricate a new spider coupling for the Z. With the completion of the spider, we were ready to go.

Yesterday afternoon we made our first cut! We cut out the roadrunner file, and it worked out well.

Today I thought I would play around with the machine a little. So I attempted to cut out a sign for my neighbor that said "Pepsi Spartans" on it. (What he and his co-workers call themselves). I was able to get 90% of the cut done when I decided to change the bit for the spartans text. Well, the bit dug into the wood and I had to stop the cut. Although, i was a little too late, as it had already gouged a big hole in the piece. However, tomorrow I will attempt to cut it out again...hopefully with better results.

Also, videos will be on youtube soon!!!!

I would like to take this time to specially thank:
    - JoeCNC2006: Thank you for all of your help throughout our build and for providing us with these brilliant plans. None of us could have done it without you. Thanks for everything!
    - PhillyCyberJoe: Thank you for all the wonderful advice and tips you provided us without throughout our build. Inviting us to come see your machine really motivated us to finish ours. Also, thanks for providing us with the leadscrews and acme nuts for the build!!! Finally I really want to truly thank you for taking time out of your schedule to help us with our build. You have to come see the finished machine now!
    - Rdhharm: Your generous donation of bearings was a great help to our project! Thanks for everything Rick!
    - calgrdnr, bp092, TCGliderguy, DeWalt58: You guys have all been a great help throughout the build! Providing us with information and assistance when we needed it and helping us find the solutions to those tricky problems. Also, your successful builds were very motivating.

Hope I didn't forget anyone. Overall thanks to everyone on the Zone here! You've been a huge help and we couldn't have done it without you.

Now all we have to do is:
    - Surface the table
    - Paint the Machine
    - Minor Modifications
    - Dust Collection
    - Table

Theres still lots to do, so stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1060498.JPG   P1060499.JPG   P1060501.JPG   P1060502.JPG  

P1060503.JPG   P1060504.JPG   P1060505.JPG   P1060506.JPG  

P1060507.JPG  

I stopped by Spencer's again today to continue playing with the CNC machine.

We currently are having software issues on the old laptop we are using as a controller. However, I have a computer I am working to reformat that will be used purely for the CNC machine. Also, I am in the process of building a pole barn wood shop outside my house - it will be done in a few weeks, and the CNC will be moving there, along with it's dust collector and whole shop of woodworking equipment.

I am going to begin construction of a wheel-around control center of sorts for the CNC machine soon. This will be a place for a computer, monitor, the controller, router bits, clamps, etc. to sit. The CNC will also probably be put on a mobile table.

Tweeking

I decided I wanted to surface the table of the CNC, however, I feared that something might go wrong....so instead I mounted a large sheet of MDF to the table and surfaced it. That way my table is still flat/level/square it just isn't permanent.

I have been severely limited as to what I can do by the 250 G-Code limit on the Mach trial. Its not really a big deal because I can always break up the g-code files, but it is quite restrictive and limiting and also very annoying to have to worry about it....not to mention it makes creating toolpaths a much longer process. I have to try to get my hands on some good software, im using 5+ programs right now just to get a single g-code file.

Also, I have a problem because my machine has been skipping steps. Why does the machine skip steps? What can be done to prevent this from occuring? Because I run it at very low speeds so that I don't overwork the motors, and I keep the rails clean....so I don't really know what the cause of it would be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1060518.JPG   P1060511.JPG  

Spencer,
    Define slow. How slow are you cutting when the motors skip. Next, what screws are you using, acme? What pitch and start? What diameter.

Next, what motors (in-oz) and what is your power supply in volts?

When you skip, how deep are your cuts, what diameter bit are you cutting with?
    I think these answer will help us guys recommend some solutions.

I know that some of these questions could be answered by reviewing this thread, but I thought it would be more expedient if you refreshed us with the details.
    Dave

Howdy Spencer,

As implied by dave there is alot of possible that can cause you these
    issues. When I first got mine up and running it was as simple as lubercating the screw with a white grease instead of a dry spray that was being recomended. also don't forget to tune your motors with Mach3.

These are just another set of possible. please provide the items Dave suggested and I am sure the guys here can help you .

Good luck Kent

I saw the PEPSI sign and i think the cut quality is poor... Is their any racking issue, i also think u are loosing steps...

Just try to low the Acceleration and velocity setting in Mach3 and run the Gcode in CV mode...

Thanks for the help so far guys! and yes, the pepsi sign was a disaster. It was the first cut and I didn't have the table surfaced and everything adjusted...(I thought it had all been adjusted at the time). But then I realized some of my bearings weren't making contact on the Y (Ahhh!). So I readjusted them and it's cutting slightly better.

Tonight I will do a complete tune-up of the machine, making sure everything is square and all adjustments are made correctly. And I'll try to get some tension adjustments on the X-Axis leadscrew. (There's a lot of whip on the X which is probably one of the main causes of my failure up to this point)

But I'll tune it up, give you guys the proper information, and we'll see if we can get the machine working correctly!

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I have finals today, so I won't be able to get the information up here too quickly, but I'll try to have it by tonight....with pictures and videos!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Spencer,
    Define slow. How slow are you cutting when the motors skip. Next, what screws are you using, acme? What pitch and start? What diameter.

Next, what motors (in-oz) and what is your power supply in volts?

When you skip, how deep are your cuts, what diameter bit are you cutting with?
    I think these answer will help us guys recommend some solutions.
    10 tpi, 1/2" acme threaded rod, single start, running dumpster leadnuts, being turned by 425 oz./in. Keling stepper motors, driven by a 40v Keling controller package.

We are cutting with a 1/4", double fluted upspiral bit, and I can't tell you how deep the cuts are... I've only used Spencer's Gcode, but I trust he follows the rule of 1/8" steps (half the diameter of our bit) or 1/4" steps (the diameter of our bit).

Page 12 of 13 210111213