586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas mini mill won’t transfer files 232

Haas mini mill won’t transfer files 232

Long time listener first time caller. I’ve been a machinist for 20 years mainly on fanuc control machines, I’ve ran haas’s but I am a bit of noob when it comes to the controls so go easy on me. I bought a 03’ haas mini for the garage and I am trying to get it to send and receive files to my lap top. I’ve brought my laptop to work and transferred files with similar vintage haas without issue and I’ve brought home a know good serial cable for a haas and tried it on my mill without success. So, Through the process of elimination I’ve narrowed it down to my issue being with the machine. The machine has 2 serial ports (I’ve tried both), an Ethernet port, and a floppy drive. I am trying to get more info from the people I bought it from but I was told they always transferred files with the floppy. I’m using the standard 232 settings 9600 7bit 1stop xon/xoff etc. When I press the rs232 send or receive on the machine I get a waiting prompt at the bottom. But nothing will go in or come out. Any help or or direction would be appreciated l. One thing of note I have this message when I power the machine on, is the machine hung up on a network connection process? See attached.

I see the attachment was kinda hard to see so here it is a little bigger

Bigger attachment

Re: Haas mini mill won’t transfer files 232

Two issues: the ethernet and the RS232

Ethernet: go into the networking settings and clear out all the fields and turn off the networking option so it stops pinging. The machine is trying to connect to a network it can no longer find. The industrial PC running inside the control is (I believe) running on Windows CE and it's no longer compatible with current network security and protocols. So I'd just write off the ethernet option. There are supposedly ways around the security problem but, I understand they aren't for the timid.

RS232: I have no idea. You say you have a proper cable and it doesn't work. The bottom port does not work for interchanging files. That port is strictly for the control to talk to external rotary boxes (additional axes). The upper port is the one you need for file interchange. The hard drive / Ethernet option may be what's holding up the works. If you shut that off, the port may miraculously start working again.
    Greg

...found a QR code in the manual's last pages you maybe can scan for more information. Also, a link to a manual. https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam/...rsion_2023.pdf

Attachment 497112

Also, look in the Device Manager for available options you have installed.

goodluck,
    DJ

His machine is from 2003. Completely different than what that manual describes. The networking isn't even close to being the same.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Two issues: the ethernet and the RS232

Ethernet: go into the networking settings and clear out all the fields and turn off the networking option so it stops pinging. The machine is trying to connect to a network it can no longer find. The industrial PC running inside the control is (I believe) running on Windows CE and it's no longer compatible with current network security and protocols. So I'd just write off the ethernet option. There are supposedly ways around the security problem but, I understand they aren't for the timid.

RS232: I have no idea. You say you have a proper cable and it doesn't work. The bottom port does not work for interchanging files. That port is strictly for the control to talk to external rotary boxes (additional axes). The upper port is the one you need for file interchange. The hard drive / Ethernet option may be what's holding up the works. If you shut that off, the port may miraculously start working again.
    As far as I can tell everything is blank in the network settings. Is there a way to see if process’s are still running? Or how to halt any process’s?

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...found a QR code in the manual's last pages you maybe can scan for more information. Also, a link to a manual. https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam/...rsion_2023.pdf

Attachment 497112

Also, look in the Device Manager for available options you have installed.

goodluck,
    DJ

Yeah mines about 2 decades before that control came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Larco518 View Post
    As far as I can tell everything is blank in the network settings. Is there a way to see if process’s are still running? Or how to halt any process’s?
    You've got me on this one. I'm going to guess you might need to go into your Parameters and look for the one that turns on / off the Ethernet Hard Drive option. I have never owned the option but, I did look deeply into what it might take to add it to my own machine and/or hack the thing so others could update and use them too. So if you don't intend to store large files on the internal hard drive, shutting off the entire option shouldn't matter.

Does yours have the USB option? I'm wondering if that came out the year after. I have a late '04 machine and the Ethernet Hard Drive option included USB on mine. To tease you a little bit: it might be possible to add USB to yours but, you'd need to get the proper cable. No idea where you'd get that. The USB was simply a USB port on that board, with a long extension cable that ran to the pendant.

The quick primer on what's going on inside: that option added an entire mini PC to our Haas control. The format is called PC104 and was intended as a standard for industrial computers. It's got its own processor, hard drive, serial ports, ethernet ports, etc. What it doesn't have is a keyboard, mouse or monitor. It's not even clear to me if those can't be added by plugging in with the right cables or if it needs a daughter card to do that.

That's why I know what I semi do about them. I was trying to find that exact computer and find some data sheets on what all the ports were and where I could find cabling, add-on cards, etc. Everything was a dead end.

I briefly entertained the stupid idea that if I could temporarily hook up those things, I could see what the Haas was using to communicate to the internal PC and maybe upgrade to a newer version of Windows, maybe add ports, more storage, etc. Once it was all done, unplug the monitor, keyboard and mouse, button it back up and enjoy the new features.

In the end, I/we can do most of that with an external PC hooked through the RS-232 port. Plus: adding a PC next to the Haas, I can watch videos on the added monitor, use other programs, etc.
    Greg

RS232 you need to make sure its on -In the menu select and make sure not DNC -----------Also RS232 needs a null modem cable on these machines

He said he tested a cable from work, I would try N81 at 9600. Baud, could be something bad on EIA driver on motherboard

... I see some Settings for Networking in this manual on the next to last page 282
    https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam/...ual---2003.pdf
    ..I'm assuming this Haas VF manual and Haas control systems are all about the same, not sure if it's the correct manual for year machine..... so, Setting 135 looks needing to be changed NONE or if, you want to get the Network working in your shop then, want to set for to TCP or IPX most likely.

DJ