586,043 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Spindle orientation

I have a Daewoo Doosan lynx 220G cnc lathe with a gang tooling slide and with the live tool option, but can parts be loaded in exactly the same position(on fixture) from part to part, and be drilled on the od or light milled and repeat from part to part to a datum(or driver) on the inside of the part, every time? We want to mill some small shallow slots on the 4” od of parts made from alum and have the position of the slots to repeat from part to part to the id where there is a datum hole running parallel to said slots. If so, what kind of repeatability would we get? Also the chuck can be positioned and “locked” every 5 degrees? If I can do this i can delete a whole op. Also can the orientation position be set in parameters, so each different job can have zero degrees position in a different spot? (can i reset the position to have any part of the chuck be at zero degrees?)
    Thanks!

According to the latest information I have, the 220G comes standard with 5-degree spindle indexing with "lock". I'm not sure, but I think you're stuck with the factory zero for spindle orientation, and I don't see any spec's on repeatability.

Ok thanks, the book says something about a parameter change but don't know if that should be changed from job to job?
    I'm thinkin I will have to index to zero and then indicate the fixture to make sure that location is dead nuts.

Not familiar with that style machine, but am pretty familiar with Fanuc controls. Most spindle indexing can be orientated by an m-code along with a S-command for the angle you want (example M19S1800) would postition the orientation at 180 degrees. A basic M19 S0 would send it to its zero point set in the parameters. There are a few parameters for spindle orientation in the #3700 range on an 18/21/31 control, not sure what you have. I am currently drilling three face holes an a seperate machine, then having a robot load these parts in a second machine using spindle orientation so I can just put a single spot drill to chamfer the holes, utilizing live tooling. It is holding probably within a couple of thousnds, which is good enough for what I need to do. I end up with a chamfer around the whole hole. Not sure if the Daewoos use the orientation this way but maybe its something to look at, hope it helps.

Hey thanks. This machine isn't practical at all for bigger parts above 1" dia anyways. Its basically a screw machine and good for the small stuff, where you don't need to move tool blocks around all the time. My Co wanted to see what it could do and it was $30,000 cheaper than a turret lathe of same make. I have to split ops up because of not enough space for part clearance. Also, set-ups take twice as long because of all the adjusting for clearance. It would be good for the little stuff where all tools are used for all other jobs!!!