586,103 active members*
3,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Head scratching UCCNC, Proma SD, AXBB-E.

Question Head scratching UCCNC, Proma SD, AXBB-E.

Hello like minded folks:

I have designed and built a 1300 x 2600 CNC Plasma Cutter primarily for Aluminum cutting 2-4mm sheet. (I require full 1200 x 2400 sheets for my upcoming projects). A long build, but at the final steps.

I have hit a road block and cannot find the answers i am looking for regarding the software and hardware interface.

1. Software is UCCNC (current version)
    2. Hardware is AXBB-E controller(needed ethernet connection)
    3. THC Proma SD Torch Height Controller(only the SD version will work with the AXBB-E controller or so i am told)

I have got it all moving and hard limits set up however i am having some trouble with getting the relay wired in, and talking to UCCNC.

I've gone trough all the provided documents, searched YouTube and not having access to ask forum discussions, so the dive into YOUR knowledge would be most helpful.

My problem in a nut shell.
    I have connected to UCCNC and am able to communicate with the rest of the CNC system( no problems there). I cannot control the torch "fire" relay trough the Isolated output ports(any of them). Isolated output Ports 1, O1-08.

I assume maybe incorrectly that i just have a checkbox left unchecked in a page somewhere. Yes i have THC enabled.

I have the Positive side of the relay coil connected to 24vDC and the negative in the attempt to connect to the Isolated 01 port/s assuming that the port closure would connect the negative to ground??
    At this point i am only concerned with getting the relay to switch.

My question is:
    If i do have the incorrect set up to control the 24v relay to trigger the firing of the plasma torch, if not then where should i have it connected?
    What additional checkboxes do i need to provide UCCNC to enable control of the relay in the THC set up dialogue?.

I thank you all for any and all input.

Re: Head scratching UCCNC, Proma SD, AXBB-E.

what is your plasma cutter ? Maybe emi disturbing you to fire your torch ?

Hi Thanks for your reply, I have not even got that far as to even start the Plasma Cutter.

I am trying to configure an output on an external 24v relay to trigger the plasma torch in place of the trigger switch. I am unable to configure the "system" to create a circuit for the relay.

Additionally when i try to set the THC enable functions in UCCNC where i input the torch up and down pins, then press enter to apply the settings, they always return to 0 and no settings are applied.

The Plasma Cutter is a Unimig Razor 45 which is CNC capable with the pin outs for the torch fire, arc success and a divider circuit for a THC.

it is better for you to read https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtop...oma+sd#p186670 on plasma spider or you go to uccnc plasma forum. I have AXBBE and proma 150

Hi, thank you for your input.
    Unfortunately this is not what i am after but i have managed to resolve the issue of firing the Torch and enabling the THC.

For those who are looking for answers:
    I purchased a UCSD Single Port Breakout board (around $70AUD) and configured AXBB-E to the Port 3 output 1 to signal a 24V Relay board which now controls the Torch Fire, and used Port 3 output 2 to Cycle the THC 24v controller power. I can now use the UCCNC GUI to trigger the relays from the touch screen. The relays happily trigger now.

I now need to set up my system macro to enable the firing of the Torch Fire and THC controller using Fusion 360 operating the G-Code ... Wish me luck!!

Not a lot of real world help out there and people seem to be using this setup for Milling rather than Plasma cutting, so i guess i am on my own.....

Hi,

Not a lot of real world help out there and people seem to be using this setup for Milling rather than Plasma cutting, so i guess i am on my own.....
    To be honest I did not think UCCNC supported realtime THC, it has always be mill-centric. Unless things have changed for instance, it did not support single point lathe threading either, at least for a long time.

Craig

Now, I use my uccnc for mill/router or next lathe, I use plasma with mach3 with db25 bob STV2, its cheap, if get damage no problem. Wiring is easy to thc or plasma on/off. I have problem with emi sometime due to my plasma cutter. I look on utube cnc plasma with aqtronic:
    Torch height controller + Ohmic sensor (ALPHA THC + M27 Ohmic) Plasma CNC,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7tXxQ8cTOI&t=26s , maybe for future use.