586,974 active members*
3,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Looking for design input. ~48"x~60" DIY router/plasma

Threaded View

Looking for design input. ~48"x~60" DIY router/plasma

I've been planning this in my head on and off for quite a while. I started this rough draft CAD drawing and the more I research materials and parts, the more I realize I need help getting the best bang for my buck.

I'm planning to build the frame using 1.75" x 4.5" aluminum extruded tubing (anodized storefront material I get as scrap from my job). I want to get it working well as a CNC router to work various materials, up to and including aluminum. I plan to be able to replace the spoil board with a shallow water tray so I can change out the router for a plasma torch.

I have tentatively planned to have the X and Y axis operated by two of these "STEPPERONLINE High Torque Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor 114mm 425oz.in/3Nm" with this controller "STEPPERONLINE CNC Stepper Motor Driver 1.0-4.2A 20-50VDC 1/128 Micro-Step Resolutions for Nema 17 and 23 Stepper Motor".

I've got an Amazon list of the parts I am seriously considering, https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?ref_=wl_share .

First of all, can I assume that my frame will be sufficiently rigid?

Is my single motor driving two ball screws to move the gantry via belt a good design?

I'd really like to get a conversation going here so that I can start acquiring the necessary parts and begin my build. I welcome constructive criticism and discussion.

(now to see if I can figure out how to imbed images)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2023-09-25 185947.jpg   Screenshot 2023-09-25_190120.jpg   Screenshot_2023-09-25_185911.jpg   Screenshot_2023-09-25_190024.jpg