586,283 active members*
4,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Need help with Bridgeport CNC Mill control upgrade.

Need help with Bridgeport CNC Mill control upgrade.

Hi All,
    I have been working on upgrading a Bridgeport CNC Boss? mill for the past couple of years. Time and money limits. I don't know what Boss number it is since I received it in a gutted state. The parts I've purchased aren't necessarily the best, but what I could afford. I am using the original motors which I believe are the Superior type. I also have: (3) DM860H drivers, HY-JKM5-M Breakout Board, (3) 60VDC power supplies, A2 Series VFD, Windows XP Pro box, Mach3 (came with the BoB and I believe it is pirated-not working), and all new cables.

I have included my schematic and notes on the motor readings I used to try and figure out the coils. I have gotten the spindle to turn but have not connected it to the BoB yet, not sure how to. I get nothing with the stepper (x is my test motor). Mach3 gave a license error even with the provided license file. I suspect the mach3 disc is a pirate copy, tracking that down. I will buy a legit copy if needed and I will reach out to Mach3 to get that issue figured out. I am open to other options.

On the schematic is shown my current setup. The connection from XN on the BoB to 5V- is not attached at this time and I suspect this is at least part of the problem. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do next and can use some help.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Re: Need help with Bridgeport CNC Mill control upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce21 View Post
    Hi All,
    I have been working on upgrading a Bridgeport CNC Boss? mill for the past couple of years. Time and money limits. I don't know what Boss number it is since I received it in a gutted state. The parts I've purchased aren't necessarily the best, but what I could afford. I am using the original motors which I believe are the Superior type. I also have: (3) DM860H drivers, HY-JKM5-M Breakout Board, (3) 60VDC power supplies, A2 Series VFD, Windows XP Pro box, Mach3 (came with the BoB and I believe it is pirated-not working), and all new cables.

I have included my schematic and notes on the motor readings I used to try and figure out the coils. I have gotten the spindle to turn but have not connected it to the BoB yet, not sure how to. I get nothing with the stepper (x is my test motor). Mach3 gave a license error even with the provided license file. I suspect the mach3 disc is a pirate copy, tracking that down. I will buy a legit copy if needed and I will reach out to Mach3 to get that issue figured out. I am open to other options.

On the schematic is shown my current setup. The connection from XN on the BoB to 5V- is not attached at this time and I suspect this is at least part of the problem. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do next and can use some help.

Thanks,
    Bruce

The Mach3 interface is easy to implement. Lots of pirate copies floating around, but you can download the version for sale and it lets you test motors and even run a small amount of gcode. Then if you decide it is working you can get the license. I will try and look at your schematic

Re: Need help with Bridgeport CNC Mill control upgrade.

Thanks CNCMAN172, still hoping for some help.