586,115 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fragmented Screen On Fanuc Wire W1

Hi.
    We've been having a problem with our Fanuc WireEDM W1. When I switch it on I get a fragmented screen and the keys surrounding the screen are unresponsive. The screen is an LCD replacement from DNC here in the UK, we've had it for less than a year.

When an EDM maintenance man visited he took the base board and all the connected boards away for testing. They returned having passed all their tests. He then had to re-enter everything after having wiped the boards of everything after his initial testing and before he had them sent away. There was a brief period when the machine started correctly after he depressed the E-stop and started it with start/delete I think it was, or start/9, can't remember which. That only lasted a day before the machine reverted to the fragmented screen scenario.

The company who tested the boards gave us a replacement screen to check that the screen was still working and it was, although we only checked it when the machine was starting properly, not when it was starting with the fragmented screen.

The EDM expert was wondering about the power supply but since the machine actually started it must still be working, even if it didn't get through it's entire boot up before fragmenting the screen.

I also checked the voltages on the base board, measuring the pins with a meter. They all showed the voltages correct to the numbers on the base board.

I've attached some photos, plus a shot of the pulse coder alarms that started all this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wireedmfault_1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	497713

Name:	wireedmfault_2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	497715

Name:	wireedmfault_3.jpg 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	497717

Name:	wireedmfault_4.jpg 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	497719

We're getting kind of desparate, we have jobs to go on there but now we're stuck.
    Any ideas are welcome.
    Kris.
    Engineer - Artist - Writer

Re: Fragmented Screen On Fanuc Wire W1

Power supply boards can be intermittent when going bad. Swap it with a good one.

If you don't have a PS to swap out, give me the PS part number. I may have one.

@CNC Business - Thank you. I didn't realise they were intermittent when failing, thought they just died. I'll check the PS out on Monday when I'm back at work. Currently we don't have a PS to swap out.

So, why does the machine have a PS plugged into the base board and also a PS on the floor of the unit?
    In fact, in the manual they show two PS on the floor, ours only has one.

I wasn't sure which PSU you were referring to, so posted pictures and info on both.

The PS on the floor of the control unit is:
    HK-12-24
    Input : 85-132VAC 205W
    Output : 24V 6.5A

Fanuc manual no. - A14L-0087-0003

The PS unit on the Master PCB (Fanuc manual no.):

A16B-1212-0100

I've attached a few photos of the PSU on the master PCB, it doesn't have a name anywhere on the unit itself. And a couple of photos of the floor mounted PS.

Name:	PSU_AI_1.jpg 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	497831

Name:	PSU_AI_2.jpg 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	497833

Name:	PSU_AI_3.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	497835

Name:	PSU_AI_4.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	497837

Name:	psu-24_1.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	497839

Name:	psu-24_2.jpg 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	497841

Hope this helps.

Actually, I did find the number, it was hiding on the other side of the unit against the graphics card.

A16B-1212-0100-01
    P03P00295