586,077 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > EDM Discussion General Topics > Old Fanuc Tape Cut w0 freezing immediately on bootup with a memory dump screen

Old Fanuc Tape Cut w0 freezing immediately on bootup with a memory dump screen

See attachment, an old Fanuc Tape Cut W0 was sitting for maybe 3 years (It used to be working, I've used it in the past, but they haven't used it in a while).
    When turning on with the green power button, it gets part way through its boot sequence then 'crashes' to the memory dump screen (not an 'alarm screen'), no buttons are responsive.
    See this quick video of it, you can see the boot sequence then the crash right after "Series VERS 0361 - 04"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj8qtT_FRNg

See attachment for clear picture of the memory dump screen. Says
    A31E 831E 0000 E9EC 0000 0000 0E71 01FF 00C0 0030 0038 0030
    8022 00B8 0002 8007 FDB1 00C0 0000 (the rest are zeros in the dump)

Changed the batteries on it (perhaps a bit overdue) but no change in behavior.
    Read through the maintenance and operators manuals on it but they mostly just mention Alarm codes and not "memory dump" crashes like this, at least that I could find.

Has anyone run into this before on an early 90's Fanuc like this, or any hints as to what board to start looking at, or some first steps?

Re: Old Fanuc Tape Cut w0 freezing immediately on bootup with a memory dump screen

We have a W1 and I did have a memory crash not unsimilar to this. In our case the machine booted up but just crashed to memory dump and stayed there, didn't power down. Our problem had to do with the amount of programs in the memory that had been sitting in there for years. Once we emptied the memory it corrected itself. It's possible, in your case, that the memory board has died, but I'm not even close to being an expert so better to have a EDM guy come and have a look at it, if you can.
    Otherwise, find someone you can swap a memory board with, that would elinimate that avenue.
    Engineer - Artist - Writer

Re: Old Fanuc Tape Cut w0 freezing immediately on bootup with a memory dump screen

Thanks! I'll give clearing the memory (leaving it off with the batteries out for a while? Rereading the maintenance manual to double check if they mention it) a go, and let you know how it goes (Might need some parameter reloading after that but oh well, is better than what its doing now at least, and I've found various scraps of paper around the machine cabinet that have some parameters noted). Thank you very much!

If the batteries go dead while it was sitting it will lose all its parameters . Change the batteries while the machine is turned on .

Memory short cuts.

Memory all clear Hold 0 and delete while turning power on

Par all clear Hold 1 and delete while turning power on

Program all clear Hold 3 and delete while turning power on

Load Standard Pars Hold 9 and delete while turning power on
    ...Do the hold 9 and delete key and load standard parameters . Hope you have a parameter back up.

Thank you so much for the button combinations! That's super helpful! I was reading through the manuals trying to find something like that but was having trouble finding it. Yeah there's a bunch of parameters (hopefully enough of them) written down on old paper in the back of the machine cabinet, which will hopefully be enough when combined with the standard parameters to get the machine doing something after we do the memory clears (if the clearing actually gets it going, hopefully)
    We'll probably need to do the hold 9 and delete key and load standard parameters.
    There is also an old Windows 98 computer sitting on top of the machine that was used to do CAD for this machine and would send via serial instructions programs to the machine (as if it was tape), I'll have a dig through that computer and see if anyone decades ago wrote down any parameter notes there too, in addition to all the old paper notes, once I'm back over there to tinker on this thing some more.

Thank you very much!

The only parameters that will not auto load are the ones for the digital AC servo drive .Brake motor tension settings . Com. settings. Edm cutting settings . Do you have a manual for your machine mine is older I have an O model with a OM-A control . You can still get manuals from Fanuc.

I believe I have the operator manual that shows how to program and run it , and the servicing/maintenance manual that has a lot of the maintenance instructions. I remember there's instructions in one of the appendixes in there about entering back in the parameters, so I should be able to find that part.

Thank you for the hint about which parameters definitely need updating, that is very good to know, I'll pay special attention to those. I'm hoping to go over there tomorrow to play with it and see how far I can get (eg can I get it to boot further, and then hopefully get to the parameters menu to start typing them in). They had gone and took the fresh batteries back out a week ago and left the machine unplugged to let it 'really drain' thoroughly.

Thanks so much for the information I appreciate it tons you've been so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendito999 View Post
    There is also an old Windows 98 computer sitting on top of the machine that was used to do CAD for this machine and would send via serial instructions programs to the machine (as if it was tape), I'll have a dig through that computer and see if anyone decades ago wrote down any parameter notes there too....
    I wouldn't be surprised that the PC would have the same issues.

Leaving the batteries out a week - didn't work, machine was in same state.
    However, I had them do Delete Key + 0 this morning, worked great! Machine boots now! Thank you gabedrummin :cheers: your advice has been invaluable for saving this machine!!!!!!!!!!
    Once I have some time to stop by over by where this machine is I'll do do the Delete+9 to load standard parameter, then work on punching in the custom parameters that are on paper with the machine.
    I'll let you guys know how it goes once we do it.

I got all the correction parameters from the old papers in the back of the machine that came from the factory entered in (after doing the 9+delete default param load, and lots of typing), and the machine looks to work like it did before, can jog it around and all that, no servo alarms.

Hopefully can find the machine a new caring home who will look after it.

Thanks again guys!