586,094 active members*
4,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Not so simple profile cut?

Not so simple profile cut?

I have been using another software and have switched to Vectric Aspire and have had good success with doing signs and inlays. However I am now stumped! I am trying to do a basic profile cut and when I create the tool path (profile outside the line) it cuts the first pass correct then it moves the path in a somewhat random manner? Some places it is correct, but other areas it was off. My first thought was that I needed to re tram the spindle. So I spent yesterday doing just that. It was very close to begin with as compared to the "offset" the cut produced. Today, I opened the program to take a look at changing the speed/ feed thinking the mdf was getting packed into the cut and forcing the bit to deflect. Upon looking at the tool path in preview, I can see the somewhat random "offset". in the cut lines. This makes me think I am doing something wrong within the design and or tool path calculation.
    I have done another random drawing to see if It would clear up but it does not. I have also drawn up a pocket tool path and the same happens there as well.
    Take a look at the photos and you can see the cut path "offset" and the actual cut are consistent in the offsetting behavior. there is another picture included to show that the issue was not happening prior.
    Any insights as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
    ra

Re: Not so simple profile cut?

Quote Originally Posted by rockaukum View Post
    I have been using another software and have switched to Vectric Aspire and have had good success with doing signs and inlays. However I am now stumped! I am trying to do a basic profile cut and when I create the tool path (profile outside the line) it cuts the first pass correct then it moves the path in a somewhat random manner? Some places it is correct, but other areas it was off. My first thought was that I needed to re tram the spindle. So I spent yesterday doing just that. It was very close to begin with as compared to the "offset" the cut produced. Today, I opened the program to take a look at changing the speed/ feed thinking the mdf was getting packed into the cut and forcing the bit to deflect. Upon looking at the tool path in preview, I can see the somewhat random "offset". in the cut lines. This makes me think I am doing something wrong within the design and or tool path calculation.
    I have done another random drawing to see if It would clear up but it does not. I have also drawn up a pocket tool path and the same happens there as well.
    Take a look at the photos and you can see the cut path "offset" and the actual cut are consistent in the offsetting behavior. there is another picture included to show that the issue was not happening prior.
    Any insights as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
    ra

My guess is you put several line segments together to create your shape. The software is treating them independently, so to fix the issue use Aspire to join the vectors then regenerate your gcode this most likely will fix your issue

Thank you for the reply. I will give that a try but I thought I had done that. I guess not. Can you explain why the first pass goes just fine and on the second pass it gets wonky?
    On another test it was just a circle, no additional lines ect and I still get the split lines when I review in 3d?
    Thanks,
    ra

It looks like your simulation in 3d view as one can see the shadows on the sides. Can you preview in Z so the paths vertical.
    then you can see for sure if the cutting path lines up.
    Have you try to reduce the feed rate and check mechanical part of the machine.
    I don’t think it is a software. More likely it’s the machine… check if something got loose,