586,096 active members*
3,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CL Stepper Motors won't move, DIY CNC

Hy there everyone,
    I have an issue with my DIY cnc router.
    My Stepper Motors just won't move no matter what i tried. The controllerboard works, same with the driver and the motors do lock when i start it up but they don't rotate.

I use the following setup:

CL Steppers Nema34
    CL86T Driver
    BSMCEO4U-PP controller
    Mach3 Software
    Win10

I have no clue what i'm doing wrong, i've been through all of youtube, forums, manuals etc.

I'll attach the pictures of the wiring etc. Maybe that'll help. If more information is needed for anything please let me know. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20231017_120300_edit_93668657107736.jpg  

Re: CL Stepper Motors won't move, DIY CNC

I don't know anything about that controller, but while it looks like you've got the outputs wired up, there doesn't seem to be anything plugged into the input side. Since that's where any motion commands would enter, it's not surprising that nothing's moving yet.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi,
    that controller is a USB input board and you need to install the plugin that matches the board in the Mach3 plugins folder.
    Then you need to set the pin assignment in the plugin.

All the assignment you have made to dat are for a parallel port....and you don't have a parallel port borad.

Is this a new machine?. If so do yourself a favor and use Mach4 and a US or European made motion control board like an Ethernet SmoothStepper. Those BSMCEO4U-PP, also called RnR and Bitsensor,
    depending on which company cloned it are poor at best.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    that controller is a USB input board and you need to install the plugin that matches the board in the Mach3 plugins folder.
    Then you need to set the pin assignment in the plugin.

All the assignment you have made to dat are for a parallel port....and you don't have a parallel port borad.

Is this a new machine?. If so do yourself a favor and use Mach4 and a US or European made motion control board like an Ethernet SmoothStepper. Those BSMCEO4U-PP, also called RnR and Bitsensor,
    depending on which company cloned it are poor at best.

Craig

Joe average is 100% correct, install the file that came with card in mach3. These cards do work I use one in a motor testing station

Hi,
    yes they work.....but you have NO manufacturer support, marginal documentation, and even when you do get it to go things like probing don't work per Mach3 standard, but rely
    on pirate copies of Mach3. Then to top it off, all development on Mach3 ceased eight years ago, notwithstanding that it still works, its obsolete.

The next thing is that OP is going to ask 'where do you get the plugin?'. He will find a copy to download eventually...but it should be supplied by the manufacturer....good luck with that.

If this is a new machine that OP wants to do useful work then get a better controller and a better CNC software solution. I use and like Mach4 but UCCNC or LinuxCNC are
    both worthy alternatives.

Craig

Thank you for all the support and quick answers <3
    I found the bloody problem and it was neither of those suggestions tho

You see.. there is a itsy bitsy teeny weeny switch on the side of the drivers where you can switch between 5v and 24v and guess what? Yup it was on the wrong god damn side >.<

That was the whole problem, all the wires were good, the board was good as were the motors... I feel so light rn i can't describe it

Again, thank you all - the machine is working fine now.

Cheers~

Craig, no argument they have zero support like you said. I got one to use with my licensed copy of Mach3 just to test servo motors and drivers. I have Mach4 and the ESS on one machine and the Centroid Acorn on the other. The red card cost me $20 and I use it on my old parallel port computer just for testing, no probing, no cutting, etc

Hi,
    this is the problem with the Chinese made products, they are all clones and no-one knows anything about them.

No doubt there was some clever Chinese engineer, or maybe several of them, years ago whom designed this little board and wrote the plugin. In their day they were very good.
    But then all the other Chinese manufacturers got in on the act and copied it. All those engineers have gone away. Any prospect of the research and development costs being recouped is gone as all the manufacturers
    competed to produce it as cheaply as they can. To whit they now cost $20. What incentive is there for any engineer to further develop the product with no chance of being reimbursed for the effort?
    As a result these boards have never progressed beyond that initial design, and the plugin in particular is buggy. Had the Chinese followed the Japanese tradition of 'continuous refinement' these boards could
    well be class leading. As it is they are the cheapest of runts in the market.

The Chinese policy of 'no respect for intellectual property' is a classic case of them 'shooting themselves in the foot'.

Craig