586,357 active members*
3,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 6 1234

Re: MD001 cnc conversion

Finished drilling and tapping my base bearings rails mounting bolts, but had to add steel plate on side because bolts were too close to edge of casting. Now I’m going to start working on table bearing rails.

Added bolts to the sides to add support for rail bolts.

The WAR department let me out of the house for a couple hours today so I got holes drilled and tapped on table. I’ll have to say the first two holes were fun after that it begins to be a pain. ????

Had my girl helping me today. She’s one of the only girls that doesn’t tell me what to do. ????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1056.jpg  

Table rails are done. Now column rails are the last to be mounted and them I need to start working on ball screw mounts.

What size rails, 30? They seem huge!

I'm curious how the single bearing trucks will work out.

What ballscrews are you using
    www.steelplinkers.com

The rails are 45mm x. 30mm. I bought ball screws 8 years ago so I’m not sure what they are. Just started looking at them. I ordered conversion kit from IH but never received kit so I started purchasing parts for conversion. If I remember right I matched what they were using at the time. They are 3/4” for x and y and 1” for z.
    I originally order two cars per rail till I got them and saw how big they were. That’s when I decided to get rid of dove tails and replace with linear bearings.

I bought 1” hot rolled plate to make spindle and table bearing mounts. I looked at cold rolled but they wanted me to sell my house to pay for it. So I need to chuck them in my latch and surface them. If I only had a mill. ????

I’m going to use this chunk of stainless to whittle my ball screw mount on my lathe.

Hi,
    you don't cold roll steel an inch thick!. Imagine the size and cost of a machine that could 'squish' an inch thick slab of steel....COLD!!!!

Engineering steels are virtually all hot rolled. They are by definition done when hot, which results in very much less stress than trying to do it cold anyway.
    Cold rolled steel is very thin sheet (in coils normally), strips, rolled angles and PFC's, corrogated iron and that sort of thing. All plates, flats, channels, I beams, SHS's and RHS's are
    hot rolled. You might well imagine that I beams, SHS's and RHS's have rather more residual stress that plates or flats.....but because they are done hot the residual stress is minimal.
    Only when you start welding that you really need be concerned about residual stress.

If you're that concerned about residual stress then get it stress relieved, I priced it about a month back at $6.70NZD per kg or about $4.00USD/kg....hardly likely to break the bank.

I would expect that a plasma or gas cut steel plate will be flat to within 0.1mm anyway. Can you seriously say that you have the means to measure it?
    If that's not good enough then put it in a surface grinder. There'll be plenty of machines to do it at tool and die shops all around the country side. I got three pieces of 275mm x 275mm x 20mm steel plate
    done on both sides and it cost $90NZD ($60USD). Thereafter they were flat and even thickness to better than 0.01mm, and far better than I can measure anyway.

If you think you need to stress relieve hot rolled steel plate, it should remind you of what your mother told you about activities that would 'make you go blind'.
    The potential inaccuracy that might occur because you ground or milled a piece of hot rolled steel plate without first stress relieving would be measured in microns....you or I would never be
    able to measure it. There are lots of things that can and do make a significant difference to the accuracy and squareness of your machine.....this one is way WAY down the list.

Craig

We call it Cold rolled as well. Yes, technically its drawn not rolled, but, "CRS" is a pretty common description for any cold finished steel.
    www.steelplinkers.com

Hi,
    for our purposes hot rolled, the common and readily available stuff is perfect for our needs. If you want to be real nitpicking then get it stress relieved.....but that might be what you do for
    sub-micron precision aerospace or semiconductor machinery, but not for hobby grade CNC, even very good grade hobby CNC.

Craig

Finished stainless steel ball screw mounts on my lathe.

Now that I have spindle mount plate cleaned up I can start to drill car mounting holes.

Finished drilling holes for table plate mounting to the rails and now need to marry it to my base plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1043.jpg  

Had to cut 4” out of base cross section for ball screw bracket.

Drilled the bearing blocks holes for allen bolts in the table mounting plate.

I have a question about bearing rails bolt holes. Do you fill the holes to keep chips out and what do you use to fill them?
    Thanks

Hi,
    my rails which were new old stock came with little plastic bungs that blanked off the hole. You can still dig them out to get to the screw underneath at need, but they
    do a good job of excluding chips and coolant from being dragged into the bearing car.

Craig

Finished spindle mounting plate so I can start spindle head. I ordered aluminum plate on eBay for spindle and it came in. Can finally start building new housing. Not going to use much of original spindle if anyone is interested. I have ISO30 upgraded spindle, head casting, gears, and motor. They were used about three week’s before I tore it apart.

Page 2 of 6 1234