586,075 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345

Re: MD001 cnc conversion

We cut up one of the I beams to make a base for the crane. I’m going to set mill on top of the base so column will be centered over mill. The electric winch came in so I need to start making boom and winch mount. Lots of welding in the next couple of days.

Bolted base to floor now I need to start on boom. They gave me 2 I beams and 2 C channels. I used 1 I beam for column and 1 for base. I was going to weld C channels together to make boom but when I brought them home I discovered they weren’t the same size. So welding them together to make I beam isn’t an option. I’ll have to think on how to do it.

The larger C channel I decided to cut in half and weld the two halves together to form triangle on top of the smaller C channel. It made for lot more work but I wanted to use metal given to me if possible.

Got some welding done today. On to pivot and mount for column.

I'm thinking of going with Masso touch for my controller any thoughts on this.

No direct experience but seen a lot of youtube videos of people who have used the Masso touch and it seems quite nice, and intuitive. For a machine that you just want to use, it seems to be a great way to go. I like LinuxCNC but its main downside is its too configurable - has quite a bit of upfront learning required to get it going.

Hi,
    neither do I have any direct experience with Masso, although there is an enthusiastic userbase which can only have resulted from good user experience.

I myself use Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper and have done for 8.5 years...and it works well. I would comment that Mach4 and an ESS is considerably cheaper
    than Masso, as indeed would LinuxCNC and a Mesa board, but if you consider that a good motion solution will be with you for ten years or more, the initial cost is
    not as relevant as you might think. Ease of use, support, setup and reliability are probably more important. Each solution here (Masso, LinuxCNC or Mach4) would not have
    such a large user base if either were bad, so I would guess that you'd be happy with any of them.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by grg_p View Post
    I'm thinking of going with Masso touch for my controller any thoughts on this.
    I recently built a Masso touch controller for a full sheet router. It went well. The Masso Touch controller is very easy to use.

I’d recommend it. Also there is a huge amount of resources on YouTube.
    The only thing I don’t like is the way Masso organize there online documentation. It a bit frustrating to use. But that doesn’t affect the controller’s operation.

Cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Beautiful enclosure..well laid out and organized.

Stuart
    "THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Peter you cabinet is really done. ????

The pin is 1 1/2 square bar that I turned for brass bushings and bearing cups. My Millermatic is running at its maximum, I just hope it is enough. I’m not a very good welder so don’t look too close. Just for the record I barely made it through the 3rd grade and have never work in a machine shop so I’m questioning most of the things I do are unorthodox and at times a little comical.

Quote Originally Posted by grg_p View Post
    Peter you cabinet is really done. ????
    Yes, the first image was just prior to installation in the router and wiring up of the motors, spindle switches,etc.

The 2nd image was it installed and during setup.

Cheers

Peter

We were able to stand column up and attach boom. It took 5 of us to get that boom mounted. I can finish painting and wiring so I can finally get back to working on my mill.

Finished painting and wiring. Back to working on mill.

I finished the ball screw mount for the table today. I had to cut down ball screw nut flange to make clearance for table. I didn’t want to remove any metal on the table if I didn’t have to.

Cutting down the nut like that is fairly common. I did that on the X-axis of my TM20VL mill

Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Decided to get rid of pool blue and go with navy blue.

Trying to figure out my ball screws. The oil lubrication pump originally was going to be use for dovetails I now need to convert to oil ball screws. I have no knowledge about these double nuts and have no numbers or manufacture to lookup for installation instructions so I’m just going to stumble through for now. I see there are bellevelle springs that I assume are for preload. I’m going to turn ball screw to length and ends for bearings. Let the fun begin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1294.jpg   IMG_1297.jpg   IMG_1299.jpg   IMG_1296.jpg  

Assembled ball screw after getting ends whittled down. Need to figure sprockets for servo. Servo 5000 rpm 2.7hp, ball screw 5 mm pitch. I’m not sure what speed I should be shooting for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1303.jpg   IMG_1302.jpg   IMG_1301.jpg  

Hi,
    I use 1hp (750W) servos, rated at 3000 rpm, but can go 5000rpm. They are direct coupled to 32mm diameter ballscrews of 5mm pitch.

I can and have tuned the G0 rapids at 25m/min ( 5000rpm x 5mm/rev), and it is way WAY fast, fatser than I need and faster than my nerves will stand. I detune them to 3000rpm
    (back to rated speed) ant that equates to 15m/min, and for most work I have the RapidRateOverride at 50%, so 7.5m/min, and that is still fast enough. To be honest 10m/min
    is any amount fast enough for a hobby machine.

Perhaps more importantly is acceleration. My 750W servos accelerate the heaviest axis (200kg) at 2.7m/s2 or 0.27g using rated torque and 7.5m/s2 or 0.75g at overload.
    This is way scary fast. I have detuned it to 0.15g, and that is still way quick enough. High acceleration is very desirable for tool path following, but my experience is 0.15g is enough.

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewMill3.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 2345