586,485 active members*
2,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Can this tool be used in an ER collet?

Can this tool be used in an ER collet?

Hello, I just got this new carbide keyseat cutter and I’m a little stumped as to whether or not I can put it in an ER32 tool holder. There is a large flat running down the entire length of the shank. Unfortunately I didn’t notice this large flat when I ordered it. I was in too much of a hurry and just completely overlooked it.

My question is can I use this in an ER holder or do I need a set screw holder only? Right now I have a HSS cutter in an ER32 holder that this one will replace. I would like to use the same holder but worried that area will not hold it securely, or hold it slightly off center, and/or collapse the collet in that area. At this time I do not have a set screw holder to hold it. Need to get one…

1/2” shank, 1/2” diameter, 1/16” cutter width.

Flat measures about a 1/4” wide across the flat

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Can this tool be used in an ER collet?

Hi,
    is it going to do any harm to try it?. Its either take it back for a refund, if that's possible, or take a gamble and try it.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    is it going to do any harm to try it?. Its either take it back for a refund, if that's possible, or take a gamble and try it.

Craig
    True, probably just overthinking it, I have a bad habit of that. Was worried about screwing up the part or the cutter or both. Figured I’d ask first. Thought at least one person on here may have faced the same thing and would know instantly if it’s a good idea or not. Not sure about the refund, I’d have to check. Thanks!

Hi,
    I've used tools with a Weldon flat in ER collets without problem. The Weldon flat is not the full length of the shank though.

I suspect if the flat is small relative to the overall diameter of the shank the ER collet will grip it OK. If the flat is to large then the collet will distort out-of-round before
    it exerts enough pressure to clamp the tool.

Craig

that small of a flat will be fine in an er32 , and probably safer than using a side lock the way it is . A flat like that is silly and prone to slipping in a side lock , they should have cut a weldon or nothing
    Some people would be concerned with distorting the collet but I've yet to see that happen

hy is ok, use the collet

new carbide keyseat cutter
    such tools, if to be integral, are better of hss, rapid steel

if from carbide, then there are indexable versions, where only the tip is changed, and the shank remains ... should be les$ss$$$s$$ / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I've used tools with a Weldon flat in ER collets without problem. The Weldon flat is not the full length of the shank though.

I suspect if the flat is small relative to the overall diameter of the shank the ER collet will grip it OK. If the flat is to large then the collet will distort out-of-round before
    it exerts enough pressure to clamp the tool.

Craig
    Thanks. I’ve done the same, Weldon flats in an ER collet. But this one surprised me. Never really seen a Weldon flat run the whole length. Reminded me of some boring bars.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    that small of a flat will be fine in an er32 , and probably safer than using a side lock the way it is . A flat like that is silly and prone to slipping in a side lock , they should have cut a weldon or nothing
    Some people would be concerned with distorting the collet but I've yet to see that happen
    Makes sense that a larger beefier collet, with a smaller diameter tool compared to it, might not affect it. Worse in say an ER20 because it would be at its max, thinning out the collet? Seems logical. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy is ok, use the collet

such tools, if to be integral, are better of hss, rapid steel

if from carbide, then there are indexable versions, where only the tip is changed, and the shank remains ... should be les$ss$$$s$$ / kindly
    Thank you. I’ve used only used HSS when it comes to keyseat cutters. First time with a carbide keyseat cutter. I assumed going carbide may be better, cut faster, cut cleaner, less burrs, last longer? It will be used for various material, currently to be used on 4140 annealed and then quite possibly 4140 heat treat after. Mainly got it for the heat treat material. I like the idea of indexable ones but I haven’t looked into them at all.

today i bumped into iscar 5607342 for some setup somewhere, and i aslo mentioned it to you

check also attached

so far i used 2 versions :
    ... big diameter, with separate inserts, like any regular toolholder
    ... tiny diameter, not with inserts, but with full interchangeable head

both worked, etc .... anyway, i am not here to sell iscar / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    today i bumped into iscar 5607342 for some setup somewhere, and i aslo mentioned it to you

check also attached

so far i used 2 versions :
    ... big diameter, with separate inserts, like any regular toolholder
    ... tiny diameter, not with inserts, but with full interchangeable head

both worked, etc .... anyway, i am not here to sell iscar / kindly
    Oh wow, very interesting, thanks! I’ll have to look into those. Mine will be used for the side slotting that it shows on there. Thanks again, didn’t know these existed