586,119 active members*
3,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Imperial g codes

Howdy I have a 6090 cnc and I had bought alot of gcodes fr another machine I had ,well these codes move in tiny increments ,is there something I can do in mach3 or do I need a program to convert imperial to mm?

Re: Imperial g codes

Hi,
    No, Mach3 can use inch Gcode OR mm Gcode. Look up G20/G21.

Most newcomers try to change the machine native units.....don't do it, its not required. If its a Chinese manufactured machine its entirely probable that the machine native
    units are metric, leave them like that. When you want to run inch code place a G20 at the top of the code, and thereafter Mach will interpret all numeric data as inches.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    No, Mach3 can use inch Gcode OR mm Gcode. Look up G20/G21.

Most newcomers try to change the machine native units.....don't do it, its not required. If its a Chinese manufactured machine its entirely probable that the machine native
    units are metric, leave them like that. When you want to run inch code place a G20 at the top of the code, and thereafter Mach will interpret all numeric data as inches.

Craig
    Be careful here.... some controls use the G20/G21 at the top of file as a conditional check that the machine matches the file's programmed units.
    Ie. Machine set to imperial, meets a G21, forcing Machine to NOT run the code.... meaning you may need to switch units on the control

Check your machine manual.

Hi,
    I have used both Mach3 and Mach4 and they both operate (with respect to inch/mm) identically.
    G20 puts the machine in inch mode, and its modal, that is to say it will stay in inch mode until you issue a G21 whereon it goes to mm mode.
    G20/G21 are not conditional.

Craig

Thanks fr replies ,btw it's a 6090 from chinazone and yes tech support is non existent, ,even engraving is mirror, I have used cnc before and never had theses issues....I'll keep at it and I'll report back..

The G20 ,worked!!!! Thank you Craig !!!!But I am getting these unwanted circles screen so when it's cutting my inlay it also cuts circles, I'll post pic n some of the code...

Hi,
    Mach3's native circular interpolation mode is 'incremental' whereas many machines are 'absolute', and commonly code written for absolute mode has weird artefacts when
    on an incremental machine. Try swapping from incremental arcs to absolute arcs. Its part of the Mach3 set-up, but I can't remember where. I've been using Mach4 for eight
    years and have forgotten all the Mach3 quirks.

If you get sick of the quirks, many Chinese machines only work properly with pirate copies of Mach3, then get yourself Mach4Hobby and an Ethernet SmoothStepper....light years
    ahead.

Craig

The machine came with mach3 but I bought a license, thanks fr responding I'll keep at it..