586,075 active members*
4,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Seeking Help with MESA 5I25 Board Replacement

Seeking Help with MESA 5I25 Board Replacement

Ok so i managed to short out my MESA 5I25 Board and it no longer works. Looking online i wasnt able to find an exact replacemnet but did see one thet had a "T" at the end (you can see my extensive knowledge of sotftware / hardware is coming into play here) so i brought it. Im desprite to get my tormach PCNC 1100 S3 back up and running.
    After doing more research online (this is after i panic brought) im not so convinced that its a simple swap out but would love to be proven wrongs.
    Does anyone have any knowledge on this or knows how to get this working when it turns up mid next week?

I did ask the question to tormach, and they said they are not aware of the 5I25T and suggested i buy thier replacement kit for $300. At this point my confidence level took another dive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Shane

Re: Seeking Help with MESA 5I25 Board Replacement

...the T stands for Terminal hookup wiring vs Plug in Cable if, I remember correctly.

DJ

This is the link to Mesa electronics for the board in question, 5I25T picture

This is the interface boards in question, the T means a low profile adapter, according to the description it has the standard and low profile bracketsl included. 89 dollars listed cost. I replaced my computer as it was 10 years old and I wanted an ssd drive.
    mike sr

the 7i92tm/th are the replacement for the ti92 , so if I was to take a guess the 5i25t is the replacement for the old board . If it is a replacement then it it's going to have a different chip and the firmware may not be compatible .
    I'm surprised that tormach stated their replacement is 300 , I bought a 5i25 from them last year for somewhere around $100

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneH121 View Post
    Ok so i managed to short out my MESA 5I25 Board and it no longer works. Looking online i wasnt able to find an exact replacemnet but did see one thet had a "T" at the end (you can see my extensive knowledge of sotftware / hardware is coming into play here) so i brought it. Im desprite to get my tormach PCNC 1100 S3 back up and running.
    After doing more research online (this is after i panic brought) im not so convinced that its a simple swap out but would love to be proven wrongs.
    Does anyone have any knowledge on this or knows how to get this working when it turns up mid next week?

I did ask the question to tormach, and they said they are not aware of the 5I25T and suggested i buy thier replacement kit for $300. At this point my confidence level took another dive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Shane
    Contact Mesa directly and ask them. They are very responsive. I’d expect that it is compatible though.
    Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Have an update from tormach and Mesa.

Tormach -
    "I don’t believe this will work, but if you have it on order, it’s worth a shot yet. We required specific changes to PathPilot, even use the new 7i92T. (Originally we used a 7i92)"
    ----------------------------------------------------

Also as a note - there 300 dollar is for thier DB25 Interface Kit

Mesa Electronic -
    "I do not know if Tormach supports the 5I25T.It does require the latest LinuxCNC version.We will have some 6I25s fairly soon which are a better bet as a 5I25 replacement.
    ------------------------------------------------------

I have no clue when it come to config these things so it looking like im going to have to bite the bullet and get the one from tormach as it doesnt look good for the "T" version,
    Just on the tormach response, when they said they originally used the 7i92, how come ive pulled out a 5i25 from the tormach machine?

Thanks for all your responses so far.

Chees
    Shane

The 7i92 uses Ethernet to connect to the PC. The 5i25 plugs into the PCI connector in the PC.
    Tormach have migrated to Ethernet so they can use small NUC PCs.
    My guess is that your machine is prior to them converting to the 7i92.

Cheers
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    The 7i92 uses Ethernet to connect to the PC. The 5i25 plugs into the PCI connector in the PC.
    Tormach have migrated to Ethernet so they can use small NUC PCs.
    My guess is that your machine is prior to them converting to the 7i92.

Cheers
    Peter

Thanks Peter

So im guessing they have different chip firmware hence why its not a simple swap out.
    Wish i know how to config all this stuff as ive been playing around with LinuxCNC Probe Basic and im liking the interface. Not so keen on configing it to a tormach machine even if it was possible.

There are a lot of people ho can help you out with the configuration. The best place to ask would be on the LinuxCNC forum. They have a PathPilot thread.

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/pathpilot

Cheers
    Peter

Get an inexpensive 5A-75E fpga board, replace U23, U24, U25, U26, U27, U28 with 5V tolerant "SN74LVC245APWR" in TSSOP-20 package. You have 96 IOs total (48 inputs and 48 outputs).

Firmware can be customized using Peter's Lite-x-CNC. E.g. as many hardware-based Encoders, Stepgen, Pwm, IN/OUT IOs as your machine-tool requires.

https://github.com/Peter-van-Tol/LiteX-CNC