586,308 active members*
3,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma LNC 8C OSP 5020L Purchase Questions

Okuma LNC 8C OSP 5020L Purchase Questions

Hello, first post.

I am looking a nicely kept Okuma LNC 8C with OSP5020L. The lathe has sat for approximately one year without power. What are some of the issues I could run into with this lathe. There is no power to hook up and test the machine, but there are a significant amount of records on the maintenance of the machine. It was lightly used since new. Any pros and cons of this particular version. Thanks

Re: Okuma LNC 8C OSP 5020L Purchase Questions

It's an old machine, and they are solid
    ... wiring may also be old and brittle, transporting it could be enough to destroy them, especially fibre optics.
    ... any parts that may need replacing are not stocked, meaning you need to repair, and/or pay top $$$ to get it going again.
    ... check that the options data card & setup disks are complete. Both should be in the elec. cabinet
    ... try and have it powered up before purchase. I would suspect the battery charge is run down meaning parameters are lost, forcing a service call
    ... Contact Okuma, check service history, if it exists. They may add some pre-purchase advice

IMHO... I would consider purchase if I could see it powered up.... no touch unless I was parting it out. Too many expensive things could be hidden by not having it working. It's unproven value is scrap iron only.

Thanks for the reply. Here is the lathe in question. I was fully maintained during its life, but I understand your points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 394153885_6949854665036930_4389531977407790961_n.jpg  

Older models are my area
    Emphasize once again two points:
    - data management card and installation media ( paper tape or 3,5" disks ); Check if there are paper books - you need them ordering spare parts.
    - power on before payment.
    Believe me, these efforts will pay off.
    Parameters loose is not a big deal. The control is using bubble memory which is crazy sensitive to power on sequence. Since the machine is quite old, the parameters of capacitors ( main factor impacting power sequence ) could be distorted. So when you see operating system booting, you know the bubble memory is ok or replaced by modern SRAM.
    a little addition to Superman's advice.
    You can check the spindle run out with micrometer without power. Should be less than 3 µm.
    Check the places where cooland can collect. Tailstock body and turret. Very likely, the sealing doesn't prevent coolant in and the liquid destroyed some electrical connections and parts. Cheap - limit switches, position sensors.
    Prepare to replace all samurai wipers.
    Clean coolant system.
    Flush the hydraulic system and replace hydraulic oil.
    Chek if lubrication system works before leveling.
    Pay attention to proper leveling of the machine. This is very important.
    Check positioning accuracy and repeatability.
    Prepare to re-adjust the turret. Check if two tapered pins are taken away. You can ask owner if they have these pins for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    Older models are my area
    Emphasize once again two points:
    - data management card and installation media ( paper tape or 3,5" disks ); Check if there are paper books - you need them ordering spare parts.
    - power on before payment.
    Believe me, these efforts will pay off.
    Parameters loose is not a big deal. The control is using bubble memory which is crazy sensitive to power on sequence. Since the machine is quite old, the parameters of capacitors ( main factor impacting power sequence ) could be distorted. So when you see operating system booting, you know the bubble memory is ok or replaced by modern SRAM.
    a little addition to Superman's advice.
    You can check the spindle run out with micrometer without power. Should be less than 3 µm.
    Check the places where cooland can collect. Tailstock body and turret. Very likely, the sealing doesn't prevent coolant in and the liquid destroyed some electrical connections and parts. Cheap - limit switches, position sensors.
    Prepare to replace all samurai wipers.
    Clean coolant system.
    Flush the hydraulic system and replace hydraulic oil.
    Chek if lubrication system works before leveling.
    Pay attention to proper leveling of the machine. This is very important.
    Check positioning accuracy and repeatability.
    Prepare to re-adjust the turret. Check if two tapered pins are taken away. You can ask owner if they have these pins for you.
    Thanks for the information. Well thought out.

hello is the lathe you wanna purchase inside a working shop with current activity ? like maybe they disconected it and move it away ?

if yes, or something like this, then should be easy to power it up, and test it a few hours

otherwise hmmm .... you can be lucky, and all be fine, but there are also cases of not so lucky guys, and not all of them could recover and power up / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Unfortunately it is not in a place where it can powered up. I would like to think everything will be fine, but.....
    Thanks for the response.

it is not in a place where it can powered up
    Then it is sophisticated and poluted metal scrap. Sorry to say that. The risk that OPUS is dead is extremely high.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    Then it is sophisticated and poluted metal scrap. Sorry to say that. The risk that OPUS is dead is extremely high.

Yeah, figured as much but was hoping for a better outcome. I passed on the lathe. Thanks again.

If that was closer to Minneapolis, I'd have it on a trailer coming to my shop.