586,089 active members*
3,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > Regreasing angular bearings in BK15 supports ( what grease )

Regreasing angular bearings in BK15 supports ( what grease )

Hi all .,

I have bought some used BK15 fixed supports for my cnc with 7002 angular bearings.

Now the bearings turn fine but i can see that dirt has gotten into the bearings as they have not been keept under a dust free enviroment.

Thus i have removed all the bearings and cleaned them up in petrol.

Now i need to grease them up , but i am uncertain if i can use Klübersynth LI 44-22 for my bearings , or do i need to get the NBU-15 grease ?

I mean there is no high speed use on those bearings as these are only to turn my 2010 ballscrews and i never run over 9600 mm/m on my machine ( 9600 is fast travel and not cutting speeds )

But even though im not running speeds then i wanna use the correct grease for optimal lifetime on my bearings

Hope someone can help out here

Kris

Re: Regreasing angular bearings in BK15 supports ( what grease )

Hi,
    any decent grease will work. If you were really concerned about bearing life you'd just replace the bearings rather than wash them out with petrol.

One thing which can catch you out is that you can 'over grease' a bearing. The natural temptation is to pack the bearing full of grease, its certainly what you do with
    trailer wheel bearings etc, but with bearings in CNC machines operating at much higher speeds albeit at lesser loads, the continual shear and 'squishing around' of the grease in
    an overpacked bearing produces a lot of heat. So an overpacked bearing has more friction than a moderately packed bearing.

Craig

Re: Regreasing angular bearings in BK15 supports ( what grease )

Hi there .,

Well taking into cosideration that these bearings are quite expensive since they are matched pairs of precicion angular bearings id rather not buy new ones

But i will definatly take into consideration the amount of grease put in them , i had already seen a post about not overpacking the bearings which i would definatly have done if i hadnt seen that

and thx for the info on the grease

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    any decent grease will work. If you were really concerned about bearing life you'd just replace the bearings rather than wash them out with petrol.

One thing which can catch you out is that you can 'over grease' a bearing. The natural temptation is to pack the bearing full of grease, its certainly what you do with
    trailer wheel bearings etc, but with bearings in CNC machines operating at much higher speeds albeit at lesser loads, the continual shear and 'squishing around' of the grease in
    an overpacked bearing produces a lot of heat. So an overpacked bearing has more friction than a moderately packed bearing.

Craig