586,096 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > 8 x 30 knee mill servo selection
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 8 x 30 knee mill servo selection

Quote Originally Posted by slow-poke View Post
    Craig,

For reliability we don't design to nominal voltages, we design to worst case, as stated the utility specified tolerance is 240V + 6% , resulting in 360Vdc, These drives have a 350V bulk capacitor. I completely agree 600V FET's are common as nails so are 400V capacitors. In all likelihood the Delta drivers have 600V FET's and 400V capacitors, IIRC the S.O. drives have a 350V capacitor! Furthermore the mains voltage in New Zealand is nominal 230V.
    Just to be clear, the stepperonline T6 drives do have 400v caps. I can see two large caps with 400v 560uF marked on them. There are also some smaller CD28S caps I can see. My concern would be that there are other electronics in the drive that might not be able to handle higher then the 242v they are rated for.

So I guess my question from all of this is, besides cost, is there a reason NOT to use a transformer to bring voltage into the manufacturer recommended range? Seems like using a transformer cannot hurt.

I live in NA and have seen voltages at my house as high as 249VAC, typically in the afternoon its around 243VAC.

Hi,

So I guess my question from all of this is, besides cost, is there a reason NOT to use a transformer to bring voltage into the manufacturer recommended range? Seems like using a transformer cannot hurt.
    No, there is no penalty that I'm aware of, excepting cost. The transformer would need to be very large to accommodate all those servos would it not?

I suppose its a matter of style. For instance I use a line reactor on my VFD where most people don't bother. You use a transformer where I would not bother.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by WesM View Post
    Just to be clear, the stepperonline T6 drives do have 400v caps. I can see two large caps with 400v 560uF marked on them. There are also some smaller CD28S caps I can see. My concern would be that there are other electronics in the drive that might not be able to handle higher then the 242v they are rated for.

I live in NA and have seen voltages at my house as high as 249VAC, typically in the afternoon its around 243VAC.
    The drive has a factory set upper limit alarm (that shuts the drive down) at 242V.

A transformer in buck mode can actually be reasonably small because the vast majority of the current only flows in one 20V secondary winding. The $20 transformer (visible in the control box image below) is good for 30A@220V, I don't anticipate more than two servos operating at any given time, so this transformer is actually overkill for my application but it was the smallest 240:20V transformer at hand. I also have a much larger toroid, however besides the fact that it was grossly overkill it would pop a 30A mains breaker way before it would be at a fraction of its output at 220V

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

No, there is no penalty that I'm aware of, excepting cost. The transformer would need to be very large to accommodate all those servos would it not?

I suppose its a matter of style. For instance I use a line reactor on my VFD where most people don't bother. You use a transformer where I would not bother.

Craig
    Buck transformers are pretty cheap. I was able to get a used one thats rated for 50a @ 240v for about $50. It will take my 245vac down to about 222vac. New they are around $150.

Just to be clear, I do see this as a disadvantage to these particular servos/drives. But even with the cost of a buck transformer at retail of $150 and the cost of the servos at $206 each with a total of $750 for three + the transfromer, they are still significantly cheaper then a set of 3 750w DMM tech servos (about $2300) or a set of delta servos ($1500). What I wanted to find out was how they compared in use.

The drive has a factory set upper limit alarm (that shuts the drive down) at 242V.

Ah ok, I did not realize there was a hard limit baked in. Good to know. I guess that answers the question of if you need a transformer or not! Well, at least if your power source is delivering over 242v.

Hi,
    Delta B2 spec specify for single phase input 200VAC to 255VAC +- 5%. I'm well in that range.

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DeltaB2Specs.jpg  

Did you end up using the 5v differential signaling or the 24v single ended?

Hi,
    my plan was to use single ended signaling (24VDC open collector). Delta specify 200kHz max. I thought that I might try higher than that as often the reality is higher than the spec.
    Signaling was reliable at 200kHz, started to look a little flaky at 230kHz and was just plain missing steps at 250kHz.

As my machine requires that I signal at 416.66kHz (at max servo speed and my preferred resolution) I perforce used differential signaling.

The industry standard line drive IC is the 26LS31, which is 5V input, 5V output. I decided instead to use AEIC7272's. They are both 3V and 5V input tolerant and have a separate output supply so you can tailor
    the output swing to match your application. I chose a 7V output supply which results in a full 5V output swing. It also has very good output overload protection. I have run them up to 800kHz and they are 'as smooth as a babies bum'.
    They are a little more expensive ($12NZD each cf $2.75NZD each for 26LS31) than I'm used to paying, but for the smooth signaling I'm happy with them.

Attached is the pic of my own breakout board.

Craig

Page 2 of 2 12