586,094 active members*
4,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > OP1 and Op2 Strategy and minimum clamping depth?

OP1 and Op2 Strategy and minimum clamping depth?

I've just started getting my benchtop PM25 (like basic Tormach PCNC) working so am a newbie but I have some questions:

Is the most common strategy for machining both sides of a plate (0.5 x 2 x 2 inch) to clamp a small depth at the bottom, machine the top and sides, flip over and face the rest of the material then chamfer?

That would mean the sides are machined all from one side on one operation but you need a moderate amount of extra material to be able to clamp it.

What would be the minimum depth to clamp? I'm trying to make a 11mm deep part out of the 12.7mm stock that doesn't leave much.

If there is not enough material to clamp at the bottom what is the next best option? Machine ~1/2 the sides from side 1 and 2 but I expect that leaves a visible and noticeable step in the side?

Re: OP1 and Op2 Strategy and minimum clamping depth?

There is no "wrong way" to do a part, just better methods.

Some materials warp if too much taken from 1 side. So you need to understand a little of what to take into consideration.

For vice work.
    Your method is generally accepted as the "norm"
    Another is to do 2 sides, flip & rotate 90°, pick-up a feature point and complete the other 2 sides & face to thickness

Every job will need it's own evaluation, it may need a prepping op (like dovetails, holes in waste areas for holding onto a sub-plate... etc)
    The methods are endless