586,075 active members*
4,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Rhino 4 install problem

Rhino 4 install problem

I am trying to install Rhino 4 on windows 10, I have tried the compatibility mode and no luck with that, it throws a cyclic error about halfway thru the install,. I just wonder if this can be done or if anyone has any insight on this?
    mike sr

Re: Rhino 4 install problem

have you tried the installer with (right click) "run as administrator " . I've got it installed on windows 11 and don't recall having any issues with the installation

It gives me a cyclic error as I try to install it even after using win 7 compatibility mode.
    I ran it for years on win 7, the new version 7 takes forever to load and needs a better computer so I would like to use Rhino 4 if possible on win 10 or 11. Sprutcam will run on win 10 so would be nice to have updated windows but still run the old programs.
    I am basically at the hobbist level now so I dont want to spend more for software if I dont need to..
    I will check out the update to win 11 as that may fix it??
    The setup.exe file runs fine, its with the main program as it tries to install.
    I have this on a win 7 ssd card, maybe update that to win 11?? ,Then maybe it would run in compatibility mode??
    It gives the old guy something to do in the cold weather ha!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
    mike sr

check your installation media. No problem installing Rhino 4 on Windows 10 and Windows 11.
    On the other hand, did you try on virtual machine?

you shouldnt have to run it in compatibility mode . I've had rhino 4 on both windows 10 and 11 and no problems that I recall . .It's possible your disk is corrupted being as old as it is . Have you tried googling the error , maybe there is a hot fix or something

looks like you can download it here , not sure if it's legit or not but worth a try https://rhino.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

it is legal to use Rhino trial version as long as you want. There are some limitations, but the package is fully functional.

My neighbor came over and he couldnt get it to work either, he is a programmer for Ameren. I am beginning to think it may be hardware related as I bought 2 of these Dell computers one I put one in the 1100 and it works fine but they are old business computers Dell 7010. I am not aversed to buying a new computer if I have to but I want my old software to work on it........ I am 84 and I dont learn new things well anymore........
    mike sr

I downloaded it, took about 30 seconds, works but its in spanish! That proves it will download, its just not working from the cd.

It is free to use an educational copy until you upgrade then you have to buy a comercial liscence. It is easy to learn and works well for me. The version 7, I downloaded an evaluation copy but it had a lot of different commands and was slow to load on my computer, so Rhino 4 was a better fit for me.

thank you guys for all your efforts!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I downloaded it, took about 30 seconds, works but its in spanish! That proves it will download, its just not working from the cd.

!
    The cd sounds shot if the spanish version installed . Suppose it's a bit late to be wanting to learn a new language .
    If you still have it installed on an old harddrive then you may be able delete the spanish install folder and copy paste from the old harddrive to replace the deleted file . All the reg files should be the same

it did download it, spanish and evaluation version, I deleted it. I installed my rhino cd on another laptop with win7 and it worked fine so I would think the cd is ok, its going to take some more fiddling around or just hope those two laptops with win7 dont take a dump!

thanks for all the help!

edit: I downloaded rhino 8, I couldnt get that one to run at all, it would load but then abruptly shut down, I dont think it liked my older computer.
    mike sr

Update: I did buy a new Dell computer,32 gig ram 8 gig video card, Win 11 and Rhino 8 runs fine on it, albeit its a bit more than what I need!
    mike sr