586,080 active members*
3,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > How to clear the tool offset Probe Type column

How to clear the tool offset Probe Type column

My 2016 Haas DM-2 has the classic control panel.

Is there a way to clear or set all of the tools to a "0" on the offset probe type ?

What I want to be able to do is use the Probe all tools, but if some of the tools in the list have a probe type already keyed in but are not in the machine then I'm getting an error when it tries to probe a tool that is not in the machine.

Once I figure out this, then my plan is to write a gcode that would key in a figure for just the tools I plan to use for my program.

For example if my G-code program is going to be using tools 3, 5 & 7 then it would key in a "2" into the probe type just for those tools

then when I run the Probe all tools it would only probe tools 3,5 & 7

Maybe there is a quicker way to do this task?

Thanks,

Kent

Re: How to clear the tool offset Probe Type column

Just a quick update on this.... I did some playing around, and it looks like if you press the ORIGIN Button while you are on the Probe Type column it will give you the option of clearing that whole column of values for probe type.

Are you wanting to do this for length only? What about insert cutters that don't indicate off the center? Don't you have to include all the rough dimensions in the tool table before it can do automatic, sequential offset measurements?

I keep a standard library of tools in the machine so it always has a 1/2 3-flute, the 2" shoulder mill, etc. So I'm not breaking the setup each time and needing to touch off all these tools. It's usually a few drills and taps and I'm ready. I've never done what you're trying to do. My machine also predates all of this and uses the VQC templates to do these tasks so I can't try out what I'm asking here. I've used the later stuff but, it's been too long to remember.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Are you wanting to do this for length only? What about insert cutters that don't indicate off the center? Don't you have to include all the rough dimensions in the tool table before it can do automatic, sequential offset measurements?

I keep a standard library of tools in the machine so it always has a 1/2 3-flute, the 2" shoulder mill, etc. So I'm not breaking the setup each time and needing to touch off all these tools. It's usually a few drills and taps and I'm ready. I've never done what you're trying to do. My machine also predates all of this and uses the VQC templates to do these tasks so I can't try out what I'm asking here. I've used the later stuff but, it's been too long to remember.
    Hi Greg,

the only field that I want to clear out is the "probe type" column. All of the rest of the tool offset data will stay put.

I have close to 75 tools in my list, and If I had values set in that column it was preventing me from doing a Probe all tools since it would give me an error when it attempted to probe a tool that wasn't physically in the machine.

So it was time consuming to go down the list and clear out the probe type on the tools that were not in the machine, so that's why I wanted to clear out just the "probe type" column, and then go back to the list and turn on just the ones I wanted.

As mentioned in my second post I did figure out how to clear out just that column by pressing the "origin" button while I was in that column.

What my plan now is to just go in and turn on the tools I want to probe based off my list of tools for that job...

Eventually I want to figure out how to call out that probe type field and build that code right into my gcode for each job.

Example: if my job was going to use the following tools: 1,5,8,10 then it would turn on the appropriate numbers in the probe type column.

The next challenge is trying to figure out what haas named the data field where these probe type values get loaded.

While the cell is highlighted press 0 and then press enter